Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brining Turkey Breast

Brining Turkey Breast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:20 am
stl-rich

I'm going to rotisserie a Turkey Breast on my gas grill - indirect w/mesquite in the smoker box.

I want to brine the bird, but I don't know how long to soar a trukey breast, and I could use a good recipe for the brine.

thanks

rich

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:54 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

You could probably reduce the bringing time to four hours.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html
Live Different

Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:52 am

I would say to brine a whole turkey about 4 - 5 hours. If only a breast, 2 -3 hours. Poultry, if brined to long in a salty solution will be a little dry. I have tried injector sauces for turkey and chicken from Steve's book: sauces, marinades, etc... awesome! Give that a try. My birds fared better from the needle than the pot.
Good Grilling, Craig

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:12 am
stl-rich

I backed off on the brining - instead I injected a mixture of 1 cup honey, 1 cup dry white wine and a stick of butter with a tsp or so of McCormick Kansas City Chicken spice.

I had a LOT of trouble rotisserine the Turkey Breast on my double burner Char-Broil - I found that I could NOT balance the breast on the spit - most of the meat (weight) was on the side with the breastbone - and as someone else pointed out, the hole in the breast where the legs were is much too big for most rotisserie spit forks.

NONETHELESS I persevered - Since I was cooking indirect, with hickory in the smoker box, I felt safe using the sweet injection solution as a mop sauce.

Several times durinig the 4 hour cooking time, the bird shifted on the spit and had to be repositioned - And then it was done

My wife thinks I am a hero - the turkey breast is WONDERFUL - Sweet and Hickory smoked - and so very moist!

Next time the bird goes in the water smoker - after injecting with the wine-honey-butter solution

Return to General Discussion