Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller mods!!!!

Chargriller mods!!!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:45 pm
missinTX rare
rare

Posts: 36
The only problem I have with the kits is that they only include 7' of the gasket. I just measured the outside dimensions of my CG and it comes to 9'3" for the lid. I figure I'll only need about 4' for between the SFB and the grill. I don't want to piece it together (more places for it to start to unravel or come loose) so I will have to find somewhere that sells it by the foot or break down and spend the $100 for a roll of it (though I don't need anywhere near all of it).
Image
Char-Griller Pro with SFB

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:56 pm
Blazer well done
well done

Posts: 422
Location: Jackson, TN
Missin: I have been to two stores/showrooms that sell stoves, furnaces, and those types of supplies. In both places, they sold the gasket by the foot. They had the kits, too, but I was like you, I would rather buy by the foot and get what I need. The gasket I looked at, I can't remember, but I think it was going for something like $2.10 to $2.25 per foot. I can't remember how much the glue was. You might want to make sure you check it out.

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:49 pm
burgers rare
rare

Posts: 49
Location: Tulsa
Thanks, Blazer. Thery're proud of that stuff aren't they? If I can remember where I saw that run-down looking stove store, I'll pick some up. It'll most likely be cheaper there than at the place with the la-de-sa showroom...
TANSTAAFL

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:30 am
smoke-stack medium
medium

Posts: 164
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Ok, so if I do this to my CG, I can just glue the rope to the grill? No need to build any channels for the rope to sit in? Just need the rope and glue?

Sorry, I don’t even have the grill yet to look at for ref! Hopefully this weekend…

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 pm
Meat Popsicle medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 66
Location: San Jose, CA
A number of people have glued the rope directly to the outside of the grill. This undoubtedly is an improvement over doing nothing.

However, it was my conclusion that to create an effective seal, a reasonable amount of pressure must be exerted by the opposite side of the grill over the full length of rope.

That necessary pressure would put the adhesive in shear (making it likely to fail) and the softness of the rope itself would prevent adequate sealing of the gaps without support from a rail or channel.

So, I built mine with channels.

Others have done the easy thing. How you do it is up to you.

One point: Along the back side, the closing action of the grill cover squeezes the rope between the two halves with minimal strain on the adhesive. There is also no place for a channel so I attached directly to the inside of the upper cover.
Building my carbon footprint one chimney-full at a time.

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:43 pm
mac24312 medium
medium

Posts: 177
Location: SW Virginia
Please tell me where I can get this stuff with to mod my new CG when I get it on Monday... :wink: I am getting it assembled at Lowes and I know that there will be gaps in it.. :(

HUGS
Christina

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:36 pm
mac24312 medium
medium

Posts: 177
Location: SW Virginia
CAJUNKEN wrote:

then I took 2 baskets from lowes cut them and put them together to make 1 large basket it works great It just clears the ashpan so i can pull ash pan without disurbing the fire!!
Image Image
It gave me a long burn without touching anything so I think I will be able to do an overnighter :wink:

Ken


How did you get the 2 Lowes basket together like that?

Thanks!

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 pm
Meat Popsicle medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 66
Location: San Jose, CA
mac24312 wrote:
Please tell me where I can get this stuff with to mod my new CG when I get it on Monday... :wink: I am getting it assembled at Lowes and I know that there will be gaps in it.. :(


There will be gaps (and don't blame the assembler) - its the design.

I found the 5/8" fiber glass rope by the foot at a local Ace Hardware. The one nearest the overpriced, eco-fad conscious town of Los Gatos. They went for wood stoves in a big way long enough ago to need some gasket repairs.

The vendor for much of this stuff is Rutland.

Beware that their kit with rope and adhesive has a flat 5/8" braid and an adhesive which tends to be too brittle for BBQ gasket purposes. Not recommended.

The flat rope from the above kit works pretty well (according to reports) on the left, right and front of the CG, but cannot close the gap in the rear.

A web search for >>fiberglass rope gasket 5/8<< (without <<>>) shows a number of options. Precut lenghts are either 6 or 7 feet (not quite enough, about 100" are required for the cooking chamber perimeter with no wastage ). You may need two of the available kits to complete the job.

A search of the local TrueValue and ACE stores would be my first choice before ordering what you cannot see.
Building my carbon footprint one chimney-full at a time.

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:31 pm
mac24312 medium
medium

Posts: 177
Location: SW Virginia
Meat Popsicle wrote:
mac24312 wrote:
Please tell me where I can get this stuff with to mod my new CG when I get it on Monday... :wink: I am getting it assembled at Lowes and I know that there will be gaps in it.. :(


There will be gaps (and don't blame the assembler) - its the design.

I found the 5/8" fiber glass rope by the foot at a local Ace Hardware. The one nearest the overpriced, eco-fad conscious town of Los Gatos. They went for wood stoves in a big way long enough ago to need some gasket repairs.

The vendor for much of this stuff is Rutland.

Beware that their kit with rope and adhesive has a flat 5/8" braid and an adhesive which tends to be too brittle for BBQ gasket purposes. Not recommended.

The flat rope from the above kit works pretty well (according to reports) on the left, right and front of the CG, but cannot close the gap in the rear.

A web search for >>fiberglass rope gasket 5/8<< (without <<>>) shows a number of options. Precut lenghts are either 6 or 7 feet (not quite enough, about 100" are required for the cooking chamber perimeter with no wastage ). You may need two of the available kits to complete the job.

A search of the local TrueValue and ACE stores would be my first choice before ordering what you cannot see.


TY!! :wink:

I have a True Value close to me..I will check there when I get to start using my CG...

:wink:

HUGS!

Post Thu May 06, 2010 9:53 am
jkalsch raw
raw

Posts: 1
How has the hitch acc worked out for you. I'm really interested in getting one, have you had any trouble grilling with it in place and getting too hot?

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Posts: 339
Location: Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
You mentioned the glue with the Rutland rope was not too good for BBQ purposes, what glue do you think better? How did you fasten the channel you used? Desiring to do similar on my CG grill and looking for advice. :lol:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 pm
Ynot rare
rare

Posts: 23
Location: SoCal
jayeffel wrote:
You mentioned the glue with the Rutland rope was not too good for BBQ purposes, what glue do you think better? How did you fasten the channel you used? Desiring to do similar on my CG grill and looking for advice. :lol:


Bump
Char Griller Trio
Smokey Joe
Microwave

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:28 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5877
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
jayeffel wrote:
You mentioned the glue with the Rutland rope was not too good for BBQ purposes, what glue do you think better? How did you fasten the channel you used? Desiring to do similar on my CG grill and looking for advice. :lol:


I checked out the other threads on this board when they first came out and did a bit of research myself, and the best stuff I've seen is Permatex RTV silicone. Either the copper or the red stuff ought to do. The red sealant is food-safe (but that really doesn't matter a lot), but the copper sealant has a higher heat rating and is a bit more expensive to boot. I'll be heading to my local farming store out here in the next few weeks myself - the store sells wood stoves and they've got plenty of rope gasket on hand.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to General Discussion