Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking Fish Filets, Is it worth it?

Smoking Fish Filets, Is it worth it?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed May 21, 2008 5:52 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here's more on this topic: Episode 101 of The Primal Grill (Steven's new show) has a recipe for smoked salmon. He used a dry cure and a stovetop smoker but you could definitely use a CharGriller or any other rig you have around.

Steven used a very simple cure - 2 parts brown sugar, 1 part coarse salt, and cracked black pepper to taste. He cured the salmon for 4 hours in the fridge, rinsed off the marinade, and smoked it.

I noticed that he forgot one step, though, and it's an important one. In my previous post above I mentioned the need to let the fish dry off a bit after rinsing off the marinade. The reason for this was to develop a pellicle - a tacky layer on the fish that seals in the juices and absorbs the smoke much more evenly.

Steven missed this step, and you could see the results right there - the salmon had a little bit of white curd on top of the filet. It's a little tough to see on the video but it's definitely there. The curd isn't harmful or anything, but it's a bit unappetizing - sort of like eating a fish-flavored soft boiled egg. :?

Check out the episode as it is definitely worth watching. But remember to let the fish dry for about 45 minutes on the fridge before smoking it. The results are better - at least as good as the hot-smoked salmon we get in the stores here.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to General Discussion