Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller mod questions...

Chargriller mod questions...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 am
linhardt rare
rare

GMC,

What did you use to get the gaskets glued on? I tried using the gasket adhesive that you get for wood stoves and fireplaces, but it became very brittle and did not stick.
Anthony Linhardt

Post Fri May 23, 2008 11:02 am

I love the pics, they are very helpful. However, I am looking for someone to explain a couple of things. How to install the therms at grate level and how to install the smoke stake extention. I would like to do these to my grill but I haven't seen anyone post instructions on how to install them. Please help.

Post Fri May 23, 2008 12:07 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

CIC, did you check the post on video of mods,
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri May 23, 2008 12:10 pm
SaltyDawg medium-rare
medium-rare

Cueing in Carolina wrote:
I love the pics, they are very helpful. However, I am looking for someone to explain a couple of things. How to install the therms at grate level and how to install the smoke stake extention. I would like to do these to my grill but I haven't seen anyone post instructions on how to install them. Please help.

I don't have any therms at grate level, but I can tell you how to do the smokestack mod...

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's. Near the dryer section, they will have a section that has all kinds of dryer vents. They should have 3", 4", flexible, non-flexible, etc.
This is not the section you want to be in. I made the mistake of getting a dryer vent from this section and ended up having to do my mod again. I'll explain why later...
If you keep looking you will find a section that has heating and air conditioning ducting. This is where you want to be.
Look for the 3" compressed ducting. It should be compressed to somewhere between 18" and 3' long. If you uncompress it (stretch it out) it will stretch to about 8 feet. Leave it compressed though...
You will also need a hose clamp to hold it to the smokestack.
Then you just put it on the smokestack and screw it on with the hoseclamp. Run it along the top of your lid, and bring it down to grate level in the front corner. This will give you the most room.

When i first did my smokestack mod, I used the dryer vent from the dryer section (where they have all the different sizes and types of dryer vents0. I used the 3 inch rotating, adjustable angle elbows. I was not able to run it along the top of the lid. this meant it took up the whole left side of my grill.

I was making some ribs using the 3-2-1 method, and rather than foil them individually, I put them in foil pans and just foiled the top of the pans. I had a really hard time fitting 2 pans on the grill with that smokestack mod taking up the left side.

After that, someone on the forums told me I had used the wrong stuff, and told me to find the heating and air conditioning ducting section and get that compressed 3" duct. It worked like a charm.

Post Fri May 23, 2008 12:11 pm

Not yet, still waiting on it to load. I am at work and video's take forever to load.

Post Fri May 23, 2008 12:15 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

To add to what Saltydog said.If you happen to have one of the models where the stack doesn't enter into the cooking chamber,you can take a piece of flashing,roll it up and stick it up into the smoke stack and let it unroll.This will give you something to attach your flex to.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri May 23, 2008 11:20 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Cueing in Carolina,

An alternative to installing a therm at grate level is to use something like the Maverick ET-73. It is a dual probe therm that monitors the temp at the grate level and has a probe for the meat. I like it because I can move it around on the CG depending upon how much I have on the smoker at any time. Simply put, I like the flexibility.

Gmc,

Thanks for the info for the silicone. I've tried the adhesive style as well as the epoxy/glue that comes with the stove gasket. The epoxy/glue gets brittle and fails and the adhesive works better, but doesn't last all that long. I'm going to check the local Ace Hardware store and see what I can find.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Fri May 23, 2008 11:42 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Gmc,

I'm anxious to give it a try. I looked at your pics and when I saw the tray pulled out on the SFB, I thought it looked just like mine! What I also saw, and liked, in your pics is how you used the silicone to seal around the lid on the SFB. It was one of those "geez, I wish I'd thought of that!" That is why I really like this board. I use aluminum foil right now, but plan on trying the silicone.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun May 25, 2008 5:06 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Gmc,

I found some high temp silicone at the local Ace hardware store yesterday. Part of this morning's activities included cleaning things up on the patio and working on the CG. I sure am thankful you mentioned putting oil on the SFB so the lid doesn't get stuck shut, doh :shock: :shock:

Anyway, I cleaned things up and applied a good coating on the lid and think I was able to get a good seal all the way around. I'll find out tomorrow as I have ribs on the menu.

Thanks again.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:21 pm
Smokin J rare
rare

Gmc wrote:
I finally figured out how to insert photos.NOT an easy thing to do.
Here are some photos of the modifications that I did on mine that I posted back on the 12th.

The gasket is applied on all four sides of the grill and around the edge of the firebox door.
The last photo is the gasket made from high temp silicone that I explained in the previous post.
Like I said,it's not pretty but it all works extremely well.

Hey just curious where you got the storage tray on the front of your grill?
This would be real handy for my tools.Thanks

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion