Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Vermont Castings BBQ Grills - Trouble

Vermont Castings BBQ Grills - Trouble

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:35 pm
ndalimonte

Hey everyone,

Can anyone describe a remedy for my plight? I've got a new Vermont Castings grill and recently (within 5 weeks of purchase), the high setting only kicks out minimal heat/flame. I refilled the propane tank, just to be sure and the result is the same.. low output. Can the pipes be that dirty already, with average use? Please, if anyone has an answer, I would be most appreciative!

Best,
Nancia

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:39 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

I'm not familiar with your grill, but there are a couple of things that will cause inadequate output to the burner(s). First the burner tube(s) are an inviting home for spiders. If you don't have a spider guard (plastic piece full of really small holes) over the air shutter on the burner tube this could be your problem. Another thing that I think most gas grills have now are regulators that sense a rapid rush of gas, and essentially have a choke valve (as a safety feature) to avoid an explosion. For the Weber grills you have to make sure that the burner valves are closed before you open the tank valve. If they aren't this choking device comes into play so you don't fill the grill with raw vapor. If your grill has this feature (your tank valving process should be similar) it's possible it's defective. I would think that this would be the case if it was brand new and you had this problem. Since you've had your grill for a bit, check the air shutter(s) and see if you have a spider guard. If not I'm guessing you might have a resident in the burner tube. Lastly most air shutters have an adjustment screw. If this has come loose and your shutter isn't fully open, this could be the cause. If it is, open the shutter all the way and tighten the screw.

Hope this helped,

Joe

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:11 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

GREAT ADVISE Joe!!
Sounds like you're a bit of a mehanic!
It's always good to have a hardware guy around!
Glad yuo're here.

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:23 am
502mids well done
well done

snapshot0729 wrote:
. For the Weber grills you have to make sure that the burner valves are closed before you open the tank valve. If they aren't this choking device comes into play so you don't fill the grill with raw vapor.
Joe

I had problems with low temps once with my 6 week old Weber. I may have started it improperly. Thanks for the info.

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:03 am
PaulP well done
well done

To reset the emergency choke feature - first make sure all of the burner controls and the gas supply valve are fully off. Disconnect the supply line from the tank like you were going to replace the tank. Leave it off for 5 minutes or so, then reconnect it. Always be sure that you turn the burner controls off before shutting the tank valve, and that the burner controls are fully closed before turning the tank valve on.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion