Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Buying a custom pit, from outside the BBQ area...

Buying a custom pit, from outside the BBQ area...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
SRH_21 medium
medium

I have noticed a lot more people, from the northeast and midwest, looking for a higher quality pit. I have looked at Klose, Lang, Brinkman, Smokemaster, etc, and all are expensive to start, never mind the shipping. I have found a couple of alternatives.

Amazon sells a line called "On TheBarB". Some of these pits are made of 1/4" steel, run from $350 to $1,300, and have !!!FREE SHIPPING!!!!. I have not heard of these before and don't know how good they are.

I have also talked to my local blacksmith. He has made pits before and gave me a rough quote of $800 for a 20"x42" with a 20"x20" side box. We have not gone into any great depth about the pit though, I am sure that price will go up.

Has any one bought or know anything about the smokers on Amazon?

Has anyone ever had a backyard pit built by an experienced welder/blacksmith, but not an experienced pit builder? What questions should I have and what should I look for in craftmanship?

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:06 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

SRH_21 after looking at Amazon's web site, it looks like "OnTheBarB" is just a 'catch phrase' to sell their BBQ & grilling equipment. This has a mixture of several different lines of product brands. There were 80 hits for OnTheBarb, so for more info on a certain piece of equipment you'll have to give us an idea of which models you're looking at. Amazon's shipping is included in the advertised price and they have been dependable in the past for online ordering.

Have you looked at Lyfetyme Pits? www.lyfetyme.com We have a dealer new us. They are 1/4" steel and relatively inexpensive.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:24 am
Big D well done
well done

Hmmm that one with the double lid and Vertical smoker looks amazing! I want it sooooo bad

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:27 am
Big D well done
well done

I'm sorry I found something new I want.. Its a whole BBQ Concession trailer http://www.austinnationalsmokers.com/content/concession.htm

It has a huge smoking pit in the back and a amassive trailer to prepare food.... I must start saving, this would be ultimate to take along to BBQ Competition..

There is also a used 16' BBQ trailer for sale in the classified at http://www.barbecuenews.com/classifieds.asp for $9500! If I lived near Memphis I'd almost be tempted to buy it... but I'd have to sell my car and have no way to get it back to Good ole Canada :(

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:47 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

Big D wrote:
I'm sorry I found something new I want.. Its a whole BBQ Concession trailer

I'd kinda like to see the rest of the pictures of the converted school bus from the custom page, but I'm not ready to be a gypsy yet.

Joe

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:20 am
telvirginia

I looked at bulding my own smoker into my deck, but ended up buying a Big Green Egg a few years ago...it's awesome..the best smoker I've ever used.

Return to General Discussion