Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Quick Sweet Pickles/Relish

Quick Sweet Pickles/Relish

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:15 am
sacmer well done
well done

I love sweet pickles/relish but as most things store bought is too sweet and making it yourself is better. I have an abundance of pickling cucumbers in my garden this summer and have experimented with a recipe I thought I would share. You can go the full route of traditional canning, but like our BBQ sauces, boiled and placed in a clean jar, these pickles will last for 3-4 weeks in the fridge easy. You can make this in 20 min. I love to snak on them with a cool beverage while tending the grill or make a relish with sweet onion for burgers, brats or dogs.

This is for 1 quart. Start with 3 medium cucumbers, 5-6 peeled cloves garlic, sprig of rosemary. Slice the cukes in 1/4" slices. In a sauce pan, bring 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar and 1 cup white wine to simmer while adding 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tblsp coarse salt and 1 tblsp red pepper flakes. Once dissolved, add the sliced cukes, garlic, rosemary, bring to boil and simmer 5-7 min until cukes turn from light to dark green. Transfer to 1 qt mason jar with a slotted spoon and pour liquid into jar to tp off. Seal, let cool a bit and then chill in fridge overnight.

This recipe is a bit spicy (but for all you ABT lovers, mild). You can of course modify at will but I have found the wine vinegar and wine are much less harsh than plain vinegar. Add whatever herbs you have around. For relish, place about 1 cup pickle slices in food processor with a slice of sweet onion and add pickle juice as needed to make a relish. You could grill the onion first for more flavor. Awesome on brats or burgers!

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:07 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

I love this stuff too. Thanks for the tip, looks like something I might want to give a try this summer. I'm just south of you - in Stockton. I'll let you know how they turn out. I usually have a big canning party in August and do marinara sauce, BBQ sauce and put up jam. Then we all split the results - This would be a good addition to our fixin's. BTW - Nice looking range - what kind is it?
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Return to General Discussion