Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion horizontal vs barrel smoker

horizontal vs barrel smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:41 pm
willy wonkastein

What do you all think I should buy for my first smoker? A barrell or horizonta. I mainly smoke ribs and sholders but would like to do brisket etc.

Thanks

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:19 pm
Daemien rare
rare

Willy,

You have definitely come to the right place!!! After perusing the boards for a week or so I decided on the Char-Griller Smokin' Pro horizontal smoker. It has quite the following here so I'm sure you'll be hearing more about it.

Whatever your choice, good luck barbecuing and let us know how things turn out!

D.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:03 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Hello Willy,

As it was said, you will probably se more char-griller posts. I came to this board originally doing some research on smokers. I was pretty sure I would get a WMS, and after learning more here, I liked the versatiilty of the Char-griller. It allows me to Grill over charcoal, or smoke for real Low and Slow BBQ. The chargriller is a horizontal, and priced very well.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:16 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Willy,

Everyone here is raving about their Char Grillers. I recently went to a Lowes to see one in person, and the are nice. I have a Oklahoma Joes offset horizontal and love it. They changed the name but not the design.

http://www.bbqgalore.com/store/item.bbq?invky=5839481

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:23 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

willy wonkastein,
Welcome to the board. I hope you’ll register and join us. You’ll find answers to all of your Q questions around here.
Let me make sure I understand your question, are asking the difference between a horizontal and a vertical smoker? A barrel smoker could also be a horizontal smoker as well.
If you’re looking for a good barrel/horizontal smoker, then the Char-Griller will definitely fit the bill. It’s a 2 in 1 unit. You can use it as a grill or as a smoker, and it has pretty good capacity. Check out this link for more info:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467
If you’re considering a vertical smoker, then check out the Weber Bullet. They make an excellent smoker. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tour.html
The only difference between the two types is capacity. The vertical is great for a small family or get together, whereas the horizontal will give you room for both small and large parties. I just think there is more room to grow with the horizontal type. I’ve had two vertical smokers and I out grow them pretty quickly. But it all depends on your application and what you intend to do with them.
Whichever type you decide to get, I hope you’ll have fun Que’ing .
Good Luck!

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:06 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

FYI- I can use mine for direct grilling as well, but does not have the adjustable grate like the Char Griller

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:59 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This is the third time I've used this post to make this reccomendation today. And I still stand by it.
I know this doesn't truely answer the question you asked, but hopefully this helps.
I'd encourage you to look into the Chargriller Super Pro (appx $99) and the add on of the side fire box (appx $59). For not alot of money this is a great charcoal grill and offset smoker combo. There has been alot of buzz about this arond here lately, and alot of guys (including myself) are owners. I also own a Materbuilt 7-in-1 unit which is very nice but doesn't hold a candle to the "True Q" that the Chargriller puts out. In my opinion this is a quality unit that is extremely versitile and is great for beginers and pros alike.
Check it out.
There are several threads here dedicated to it.

Most of all I agree with what Vinsectsaid in another thread...its not what you use but how you use it.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:56 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Willy Wonka- I've gotta golden ticket! Sorry, I had to throw that in there. I also have the Chargriller. It is truely versatile. Like Z said, it depends on how much food your going to cook. The Chargriller has ALOT of cooking space. Check out all the threads on it.[/quote][/url]
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:41 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Welcome Willy,
I'm gonna start off quoting myself from an earlier post....
What do you currently have now? If nothing else, you might want to start with a Weber Kettle. They are so versatile. If you already have a charcoal or gas grill and you want a dedicated smoker, then a big consideration is how much food would you be preparing in a single smoking?
Will you be primarily burning charcoal and wood chips or do you have a chainsaw and log rack for feeding a smoker logs and chunks by the armload?

Willy, right now I have a horizontal smoker and would like to have an upright bullet smoker down the road too. They both have their merits. THere's also a large smoker called the Bandera that combines a large vertical smoke box with an offset firebox. The firebox also has adjustable grates for direct grilling too.
Horizontal units offer lots of room and versatility. Vertical smoke boxes like bulletsmokers let you stack meats above each other. That lets the top meat baste the lower meats with drippings. :D You gotta love that.
For overnight smokings, bullet smokers also let you keep a long fire going with a technique called the Minion method. Its a lot less maintenance. Not that you should ever leave your smoker unatended, but it could mean the difference between tending a fire all night and snoozing in a hammock while it burns in the background.

Another consideration is how often you want to replace it. If you know what your doing, food cooked in a $30 charbroil bullet smoker should taste the same as food cooked the same way in a Weber bullet but I wouldn't expect the charbroil to last nearly as long.
Hope that helps.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:47 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Welcome Willy,

It's not the tool it's the experience that makes good "Q". If you are a complete "Newbe" it's hard to beat a Weber One Touch. You can do just about anything on it and it's an inexpensive way in to grilling and smoking.

If you want just a smoker an ECB electric is an almost foolproof way to get into smoking, no fire tending and it puts out good "Q"

For a horiz. the Chargriller is great, or the Silver Smoker by Charbroil are both great smokers. They both require a ramp up on experience and both require fire tending and work to produce good "Q"

A vertical offset like the Bandera is an experience level above anything mentioned thus far, not a bad thing just more work and thought required to produce good food.

I've owned or own at least one of each of these and if I could only keep one it would be the Weber One Touch.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:43 am
cuznvin medium-rare
medium-rare

FYI: Amazon.com is offering the Weber Kettle for 59.29 with free shippoing. Alos, if you spend over $125 you get $25 off. Not a bad deal.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 2?v=glance

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:08 pm

Thanks for all the help. I am not a newbie per say. I have been smoking ribs and shoulders for about 3 yrs on my weber kettle. I was questioning a barrel/horizontal smoker versus the verticle kind of rectanglar smokers with the firebox.

Did that make sense?

Willy

Return to General Discussion