Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Roasting beef on rotiserie

Roasting beef on rotiserie

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:39 pm
Rob raw
raw

I recently purchased a rotiserie unit for my Weber charcoal grill. I have cooked several chickens and game hens on it with good results. I have one question. If a roast beef is skewered on the spit and cooked in this manner, does it tend to cook faster on the inside than it would normally with indirect grilling due to the conducted high temperature of the metal spit running through the center of the meat? This is not a problem with poultry because the inside of a chicken is more or less hollow. Any input would be appreciated.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:51 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Rob,
Welcome to the group. Glad you joined us. Steven cooked a rib roast yesterday on his show using a rotisserie and a Weber set up. It looked great. I don’t new if your local PBS carries BBQ-U, but that would have answered all your questions. If you’re cooking a thick cut of meat, then the spit has no effect on the center of the meat. The spit is usually thin and only effect very small diameter of the center of the meat (almost negligible). So I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Rely on your thermometer or the touch test.
Let us know how it turns out.
Good Luck and enjoy!

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:58 pm
snapshot0729 well done
well done

Hi there,

I've got the spit too and I'll agree with the moderator in that if the piece of meat is a large diameter, the decrease in cooking time will probably be negligible. For something like a tenderloin (either beef or pork) I've noticed that the cooking time is reduced somewhat due to the heat convection of the rod, over just doing the loin in the v shaped roaster rack. It's kind of like spiking a baked potato in that your cooking time is reduced a bit. I've done many prime ribs on the grill, both in the v shaped roaster basket as well as on the spit, and obviously both indirect. The cooking time was almost the same. The I attributeed the difference was due to higher winds, and a very slight temp difference. In any case let your experience, and your thermometer be your guide. Welcome to the club.

Joe

Return to General Discussion