Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ Bible

BBQ Bible

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:54 am
david6340 rare
rare

After watching the TV episode about Steven smoking Turkey Pastrami, I decided to purchase the BBQ Bible.Steven used a smoker on the show and talked about smoking times. He indicated that this recipe was available in the BBQ Bible. I've found that the book referenced grilling times and procedures but left out anything about smoking times and procedures. Could I have purchased an outdated addition or was this a slip up on Steven's part?
If it ain't broken, smoke it!

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:23 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

David I believe that most of America's outdoor chefs own grills. Therefore it is my opinion that Steven's books are targeted to this larger group. With a little experience using your gear it's not difficult to adapt indirect grilling recipes to smoker equipment. Grills will normally cook under higher temperatures than do smokers. Knowing this, you'll have to add to the cooking time to bring the food up to the recommended temperature. Since the exact amount of added time will depend on the smoker used and environmental conditions, I strongly recommend using a remote probe thermometer. I believe ever BBQ chef should own at least one.

Unfortunately the last turkey breast I smoked was prior to keeping a log. I've done a small whole turkey at 225* in 7 hours and a BCC at the same temperature in 3-1/2 hours. So I'd say the breast would take approximately 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours, give or take.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:22 pm
david6340 rare
rare

Bob-BQN wrote:
David I believe that most of America's outdoor chefs own grills. Therefore it is my opinion that Steven's books are targeted to this larger group.

Thanks for your opinion on what America's outdoor chef's should own but that wasn't what I had asked. My concern was that Steven's presentation of Turkey Pastrami was based on him using a smoker, a Weber Smoky Mountain. Steven gave his recomendations for temp. of the smoker and how long to smoke the Turkey Breast . He indicated that the complete recipe was available in the Barbecue Bible. That prompted me to purchase the book. Well, there was the complete recipe, on indirect grilling of the Turkey Pastrami, not smoking the Turkey pastrami. The procedures in the book did not match what he did on the show. Steven should of explained that. It was misleading. In reference to your statement, I have 2 smokers, a Bradley Electric and a Weber Smoky Mountain and 2 grills, a Weber Performer (Charcoal) and a Weber Genesis so I guess I'm part of that larger group and the smaller group. Thanks for your interest Bob-BQN.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:09 am
Vinsect well done
well done

David, welcome to the group.
Smoking times can vary so much. Some people cook at medium temps and cook in a few hours and some people go as low as they can and stretch the time out 20 hours or more to get all the smoke penetration they can.

I agree with Bob-BQN that you let the remote thermometer tell you when its done. As for Steven's recipe, I've read enough of his material to know that he says Grilling is not an exact science where food+ temp +time= consistent measurable results. Live fire cooking has some less predictable variables that make it more of an art than a science sometimes. The more we progress from grilling to barbecuing the more this is true.

When I got Steven's book "How To Grill" I was confused that more recipes didn't spell out whether to cook with the lid open or closed and disapointed that more recipes didn't include the internal meat temps for doneness. But I knew how to find out proper meat temps elsewhere. No big deal. The lid question is one of the things that sent me to this site where I learned about lid use and much more besides.
Still, I've never been more impressed with any cookbooks than I am with Steven's. Steven's cookbooks didn't answer every question I had about grilling. They got me thinking and made me come up with even more unanswered questions than I had before.
I'm glad of that, otherwise I wouldn't have discovered this website.
For me, its been the combination of Steven's books, this site, the TV show, meeting Steven in person, and selling grills for a living thats been a great learning experience.
My friends probably think I'm in a barbecue cult but who cares. I eat better than they do. :D
I sell grills for a living, what can I say? Of course I'm a fanatic.

Anyway David, I'm sorry you were disapointed with Steven's recipe. Hopefully there will be many more recipes in the book that will make you feel the book was worth the money.
I'd like to suggest that once you've smoked your Turkey Pastrami, please post your smoking time, temp, meat weight, starting internal temp, and finished internal temp or post whatever you feel was left out of the original recipe.
There is a great post called BBQ Log with a great format for documenting barbecue conditions and results. Posting pictures is always appreciated too.

For anyone else here whose done this recipe, do yo recall what your smoking times and temps were? I haven't gotten around to trying this one yet myself.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:58 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Welcome to the group David :)

Until I've cooked a reciepe, I always approach it as an instructional guide. Without actual experience you are never quite sure how it's going to turn out. I could cook the same receipe at different times and the results will be different. Due to the varying conditions that we cook under, what we do is as variable as the wind. It might be 90 and calm the first time we cook something and the next time it might be 50 and a strong wind blowing, times till done are going to be different each instance. Case in point, I cook alot of steak, my usual time on grill is 9 minutes on my Weber Kettle, with a full chiminey load of lump, comes out just the way I like it every time. After a full day of work Friday, I still had the smoker set up and can also use it as a grill for small cooks, I decided to cook steaks on the grill part, following my tried and true Kettle method, the steaks were done more than I like. This tells me that if I ever cook steaks this way again, I'm going to have to adjust my times to pull the food aff sooner.

It would be easy to say you cook it for 4 hours and 37 minutes and it will be done to perfection, because mine was, but this is wrong information. One of the wonderful things about Steven's books and methods is that he gives you "fudge room" so you can experiment and and think your way through something. Use the principals he lays down and the knowledge he trys to impart to produce goodies from the grill that suit your tastes and make it yours alone, not someone else's idea of what perfect is.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:11 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Well said Mt. Goat.

And when in doubt, use your thermometer. Also, I always do a dish once before serving it to guests so I have understanding of it's nature in prep, on the cooker and presentation.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:12 pm
david6340 rare
rare

All of these posts still don't address my question which is why is Steven saying on his TV show there is a smoker recipe for Turkey Pastrami in Barbeque Bible when in fact there is not?

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:13 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Well, I can't answer for Steve, but maybe there was a sleight mistake made by the producers of the show. The turkey pastrami recipe is in both Barbecue Bible and How To Grill. In the HTG book, it does talk about adjusting times for the smoker. So, if you need that exact recipe and bought the book just for that one recipe, take it back and exchange it for How To Grill.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:49 pm
Daemien rare
rare

Actually David, there is a recipe for Turkey Pastrami on page 270-271 of the BBQBible. While the recipe is the same, it's the variance in cooking that you are looking for. If you spend a short time reading up, you will see that the primary difference between smoking & indirect cooking is the amount of time on the grill.

I would suggest that you smoke at 225 or so for an internal temperature of 180F as per the book... that and maybe a bit more reading... :wink:

D.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:00 am
Vinsect well done
well done

David,
Are you a lawyer or something :?: :!: :evil:
I looked up the recipe in question (p270 271). It says,,,

set up the grill for indirect grilling (see page 14 or 16)

Is that what your whining about? That it says indirect grilling and not "smoker?"

It goes on to say...

toss wood chips on the coals.

Since you can smoke on a grill by using wood chips and indirect heat, most would say that counts as a smoker recipe.

If your here to learn, welcome to the group.
If your just here to whine and complain, don't bother us. We have more productive things to do.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:08 am
SRH_21 medium
medium

Hi David,

Welcome to the group.

I think you answered your own question. Please bear with me, I am still trying to figure out how to post quotes.
From your first post:
[quote]He indicated that this recipe was available in the BBQ Bible.[/quote]

From your last post:
[quote]All of these posts still don't address my question which is why is Steven saying on his TV show there is a smoker recipe for Turkey Pastrami in Barbeque Bible when in fact there is not?[/quote]

Your first post you say he "indicated", your last post says that he said it out right. There is a big difference between these 2 statements. If he "indicated", then I would have taken that to mean, there was some variation of that recipe in his book and that would answer you question. At this point, we would need a transcript of the episode to know what was exactly said or implied, to be able to answer your question further.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:00 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Not alot of people make this connection but smoking IS indirect cooking!!
Just typically at lower temperatures and with the presence of wood smoke.
Therefore the concept is exactly the same just adjust the cooking time based on the temps of the fire.

Example.
All ribs need to be cooked indirect or smoked.
I cook ribs @ 225 for 4-6 hours depending on the variables.
I also cook ribs @ 350 for 1.5-3 hours depending on the variables.
Both are indirect both are using wood. I consider one smoking and one indirect grilling.

Go with the flow. This stuff is not a science of measurements, its an art of food.

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:35 pm
david6340 rare
rare

Vinsect wrote:
David,
Is that what your whining about? That it says indirect grilling and not "smoker?"

Mr. Vinsect,
I feel terrible. It sounds like I've got you in a tizzy! Please don't take offense. Next time I'm in Home Depot, I hope that you would let me buy you a cup of coffee at your break to make it up to you. Now get that sour look off your face :evil: and smile :)

Your Friend,

Dave

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:00 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

How's that pastrami coming along Dave?
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:39 pm
david6340 rare
rare

Vinsect wrote: