Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking Time for Pork Butt

Smoking Time for Pork Butt

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:47 am
david6340 rare
rare

I'm attempting to smoke 2 pork butts for the 1st time on a Bradley Electric smoke. Each butt weighs about 6lbs. I'd like to smoke to an internal temp of 190-200 for pulled pork. Any ideas what the total smoking time will be?

Thanks,
Dave :)
If it ain't broken, smoke it!

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:08 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

It's very difficult to estimate what length of time it will take. Each piece of meat is different and some just take longer to cook than others. Your best bet is to just keep checking the internal temprature and when it reaches the temprature you want, it's done.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:09 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

If you keep the smoker temp around 225 degrees and not open the lid more than once an hour (for brief periods), it should take around 10-12 hrs. It had taken me up to 14 hrs in similar situations. Give yourself plenty of time and be patient. The rewards will be awesome.
Enjoy!

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:53 pm
mudx2 medium-rare
medium-rare

I've been reading a lot on this board about pulled pork butt and time of cooking. Stevens books mostly suggest that at 225-250 should take 5-6 hours. Pretty much everything on this board says 8-12 hours for a 6-8 lb pork butt. Now I know from all ya'll and from experience there are many conditions that apply. So is it basically the longer I smoke it, the easeier it will be to pull??

Thanks everyone, I know ya'll won't steer me wrong!!

p.s.

go cardinals!!

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:13 am
mudx2 medium-rare
medium-rare

I plan on puttin' it on 'bout 7:am. I figure that ouhgt to put my smoke time about 8-10 hrs. keep it low enough, that should be good. by the way, it has been in the fridge with a dry rub for about 5 hrs at this point. :lol:

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:15 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

mudx2 sorry I didn't check the board this weekend. I had out-of-state guests in this weekend. How'd the pork turn out? The length of time you smoke it will depend a lot on the temp of you smoker, size of the butt, desired finished temp, and conditions :wink: . Steven's HTG gives you instruction to cook on a grill (where temps are usually higher and the meat is closer to the fire). Naturally smoker conditions are more ideal for low-n-slow cooking and times will take longer. The last Pork shoulders & Boston butts I did over the 4th of July weekend took about 12 hours to cook. Each were approximately 8 lbs. They could have easily gone another hour but they pulled quite well. Hope yours was good eatin'!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:45 am
mudx2 medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks for the response, it came out pretty good, but I just couldn't get the internal temp to the desired temp. It was about 180-185 when I pulled it off. The bone came right out of it, but the very center about the size of your fist wouldn't pull real good. The rest of it did, and everyone loved it. I had it on for about 10 hours, I might have let the grill temp get too low a couple times. :roll: Other wise it was pretty good if I do say so my self!! :roll:

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Practice makes perfect...and the great thing is we get to eat our practice! A few more hours will bring it to temp and it'll be perfect. It usually takes longer than you expect the first time or two. :wink: Great job!

Return to General Discussion