Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Onery chunk of Beef

Onery chunk of Beef

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:49 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I put a 5 lb packer flat brisket on the Bandera at 12:00 and it's turned into a marathon. That suckers been hanging right at 155 degrees for the last 2 hours. I thought the Polder was broken, moved the probe watched the temp drop, and it settled back on 155. Temprature in the smoker hasn't varied more than 15 degrees, 220 to 235, in the same time. Just goes to show you can't push a brisket. The beef short ribs I put in at the same time just came off so at least I've got something for dinner. :D
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:54 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Let'er ride Dark. Let'er ride! :wink:

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:50 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I've cooked a few briskets, but I've never run accross one that was like this. Final outcome, it came out well but it took it's time. I took it off the pit at 9:30, wrapped it in foil, and placed it in the oven at 250 degrees until 11:00 ( had to be up at 5:00) let it sit still wrapped in foil untill 5. All in all it was a great learning experience for me, you just can't rush a brisket.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

DarkRubiTJ wrote:
you just can't rush a brisket.

How true...

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:47 pm
hotchef well done
well done

How did it taste? I let a brisket recently sit in foil that long and it came out bland.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:39 am
willisamrhein medium
medium

I've done a brisket twice. The first it smoked for at least 6.5-7 hours at around 250-300 degrees. It was tender, but I made a BIG mistake and cut it wrong. :evil: What a mistake. It was still tender, just a little tough to chew.

The second time, I dropped the temperature in the pit to 225-250 and smoked it a good 8-8.5 hours. Like the ribs, I wrapped it in foil when it started getting too charred on the outside. Cooked it to the proper internal temp, and made darn sure I cut it across the grain. It melted in the mouth. Very tender and juicy. The smoke ring was almost an inch and the crust had an amazing burst of flavor and spice. The only problem was, if you didn't get a bite of outer crust, the flavor was a little bland as well. It was only a 4 pound brisket, but very very good. :wink:

Return to General Discussion