Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken under Bricks

Chicken under Bricks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:24 pm
Smokecoat rare
rare

When doing the chicken under bricks, can you use this method on any boneless, skinless chicken breast recipe? The general instructions do this with a slight marinade. I'm wondering if this can be done on a chicken breast that has been brined. Will the brick affect the brined breast in any way?

Thanks for the input.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:51 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Smokecoat I've done chicken under a brick and it worked great. I sure it would work for any boneless chicken breast recipe.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:27 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Boneless breasts cook so quickly, I don't think there's any advantage to using a brick. Every recipe I've seen using this technique calls for a whole spatchcocked chicken, not parts.

FWIW...Cook's Illustrated recently ran an article on Chicken Fra Diavalo (the devil's chicken.) One of the techniques they tested was cooking the chicken with bricks on top. They said that every attempt they made produced a burned chicken due to the weight of the bricks forcing juices and fat to run out, causing bad flareups. I have cooked spatchcocked birds without bricks. Just put them over medium direct heat, close the lid and cook until done (gas grill.) For a charcoal grill, flareups are more likely, and you need to have a safe zone and move the chicken to it when necessary. The result, when using a brined bird is always crispy skin and moist meat. I suspect that cooking under bricks is one of those techniques that looks cool, but really doesn't help the cooking.

For your boneless breasts, brine them for an hour or so, then grill them over direxct medium heat until they're just firm. DO NOT OVERCOOK!! If you want more flavor, marinate them instead of brining.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:49 am
Smokecoat rare
rare

Well, to the previous poster, I'm following STEVE's recipe for boneless chicken breasts under bricks, so I'll defer to him on this technique...

However, when I used this method with brined breasts, I had a real problem with them sticking to the grill. I had oiled the grill quite a bit first, and had good marks, but I was yanking off chicken when I tried to flip them. Very frustrating. Anyone have an opinion if the brine -- which included sugar -- may have been the culprit in them sticking?

Thanks

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:05 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Smokecoat wrote:
Well, to the previous poster, I'm following STEVE's recipe for boneless chicken breasts under bricks, so I'll defer to him on this technique...

Smokecoat,
I was just passing along info from Cook's Illustrated and relating my experience and opinion. I respect Steven's ability and skill...doesn't mean he's right all the time or that I necessarily agree with everything he says.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion