Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Performer

Weber Performer

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:11 am
FrankC well done
well done

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and would like to ask an opinion.

I've been a very satisfied owner of a Weber gas grill for 9 years, but would like to go more traditional with a really good charcoal grill. I've been seriously considering the Performer.

Can anyone give me a reason why I should choose something else, or would this be a good choice??

Thanks in advance for your input!

fc

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:49 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Welcome Frank :D

I've been longing for a Performer for a couple of years now. It's a Weber what else do you need to say. Performers are hard to find these days, if you find one in stock and that's what you want buy it, you might not be able to find one later in the year. From what I understand Weber has already completed their production of Performers for this year. Towards the end of the "season" some products will be difficult to obtain, certain Weber products have become extremely difficult to purchase as we get closer to the end of the year, and some of their products will have excellent pricing. I don't beleive the Performer will be one that has reduced pricing.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:20 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board FrankC!

This sounds like the part of a wedding where the minister says,” Speak now or forever hold your piece." You already know the quality of Weber products and over the past decade I haven't heard of any degradation in quality or customer service. It's a versatile grill with loads of accessories. Seems like you've found the grill that you really like, and I can't think of a reason to object. :wink:

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:24 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Frank C,
Welcome to the board. Are you planning on smoking as well as grilling, or is your main focus is only grilling right now?

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:02 am
FrankC well done
well done

Dark & Bob,

Thanks for the input...I appreciate it.

Z,

I'd like to do more authentic q, with more emphasis on indirect grilling while smoking. Eventually, I'd like to get a bona fide grill with the side smoker box to do some real smoking.

So what do you think...is the Performer a good choice??

Oh well, I'm off with my family to Rocky Point Mexico for the weekend! I'm really looking forward to some great seafood! I look forward to reading more replies upon my return.

I just found this forum a few days ago and I think it's great!

Talk to you soon.

fc

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:02 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

FrankC wrote:
I'd like to do more authentic q, with more emphasis on indirect grilling while smoking. Eventually, I'd like to get a bona fide grill with the side smoker box to do some real smoking.

Sounds like a perfect case for a Chargriller to me.

There is more than enough info on these unit here, easpecially as of late.
If you have any more questions on the Chargriller that you can't find the answers to, just ask Z, he's the man with teh plan on these units.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:54 pm
PaulP well done
well done

OR... you could go with a One-Touch Gold and a WSM. That way, you get the best of both worlds, a great charcoal grill and a great smoker.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:57 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Frank C,
I hope you had fun on your trip. If you’re planning on graduating to smoking in the near future, then you may consider the Char-Griller as G.S. said. It’s a good over all combo grill/smoker. This way you won’t have to buy and maintain another unit. Not that you can go wrong with any Weber unit.
Here is a link that may help you decide:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467
Good Luck!

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:04 pm

The main things I like about the Chargriller is the cast iron grates and the large grilling capacity. Otherwise I am not very impressed with the design and build quality of this grill, expecially as a smoker. It is simply not air tight. There is easily a 1/4 inch gap where the lid and the left and right side of the bottom half of the grill meet. I have seen this on every display model accross multiple stores. A Weber Kettle or a Smokey Mountain will last longer, be more fuel efficient, and hold more steady and even temperatures. Look at this post from the virtualweberbullet.com forum from some one who owns both:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave,

I have the Char-griller Super pro. After about a year fooling with various mods and tending to the fire full-time, I grew tired of it and figured it would be easier for me to go buy good BBQ than to try to make it myself. Don't get me wrong, you can turn out good product on one of these but the work I had to put in was tremendous compared to what I have to do for my WSM. The main reason is that with low-end supermarket offsets like the Char-griller, there a number of air leaks that make it extremely difficult to have much control over the fire. I still use my chargriller as a grill, it works great for that purpose, but when I want to do low & slow I don't even look in its direction.

If you really have your heart set on an offset I would suggest looking into the more high end units. However you will end up having to spend quite a bit more than $200.

Garrett

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc ... 8110090552

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can afford it, I would get the Weber Performer or a less expensive Weber Kettle grill for grilling and a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) for smoking. You can't go wrong with this. As you may know Steve Raichlen uses Weber Kettles extensively. My Weber Kettle has been exposed to the elements with no grill cover for over 10 years and it still both looks and cooks great. Still shines like new when dusted. Vents are not rusted and work great.

You can also smoke an a Weber kettle:

http://www.thesmokering.com/HowTo/weberribs/default.jsp

I have found that the Kettle does effective job smoking at temperatures above 275 degress. The WSM is effective at temps less than 250. I smoked a brisket in my WSM for 16 hours with out adding charcoal and it turned out fabulous! During this time I hardly touched it and the temp went from 245 to 235 during this period. No temperature spikes. When you surf the virtualweberbullet.com website you will find that this type of performance is common with this smoker.

Whatever you ultimately decide, have no regrets and simply enjoy the food and fellowship that outdoor cooking facilitates.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:04 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’m not sure which gap you’re referring to?
If you’re referring to the “Flanged” feature, then yes, the lid extends beyond the lower half to form a lip for better seal.
See description: http://www.chargriller.com/superpro.html
Comparison Chart: http://www.chargriller.com/chart.html

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:30 pm
FrankC well done
well done

Well, I'm back from Mexico a few pounds heavier. The fresh fish, shrimp and clams were amazing!

Thanks for the responses on the Weber; I really appreciate it. I'm still delayed on the purchase, as I'm moving out of my house in Phoenix this week, and still haven't found a new place in Tucson.

As for the WSM, I've had my eye on that one for quite a while. My old smoker got lost during my move from the east coast a couple of years ago.

Like I said before, this is a great forum...I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

fc

Return to General Discussion