Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Finally got my chargriller today.

Finally got my chargriller today.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:53 pm

I should have looked at my grill today before I posted. I left it on my deck in the sun it was about 96 degrees here today and very humid. Much to my suprise when I went out and looked at it they were half pulled off anyways. All I had to do was finish the job.

Wayne

Post Fri May 27, 2005 5:19 pm

I have a question about getting the Northern Tools price...I checked on the Lowes website and they state that they will match anyones everyday price, but if the price is from a website I have to include shipping to the price...Can the people that printed out the NorthernTool price please tell me how they got the grill for $99.

Thanks in advance 8)

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:37 pm
Stros

Brisket Man wrote:
Congratulations, Wayne! I, too, did something similar this week for my Chargriller. I have been watching Lowe's hoping they'd put them on sale for summer closeout, but my Lowe's stays steady at $119. But somebody a couple of weeks ago on the Forum mentioned that a Chargriller Super Pro had been sighted at Kroger's for $75 (I think), so I checked my local Kroger. They had one marked at $99, fully assembled. I was about to go on vacation and I fussed and fumed the entire week because I knew by the time I got back that sucker'd be gone and I'd end up at Lowe's spending the same $119. Well, I got back from vacation Sunday and went to Kroger and they still had it - marked down to $79!! :shock: I wrote them a check, borrowed a truck and my son and I brougher her home on Monday. I did have to go to Lowe's and buy the side fire box yesterday, got it installed and hopefully tonight or tomorrow get started on the seasoning. I can't thank the guys on this forum enough for all the tips on smokers, and especially Chargrillers. I'm ready to cook some meat!

Are we good or what?

I got lucky as well. A couple of months ago, I saw a Char-Griller (only 1 left in-box minus the firebox) at my Kroger marked down to $75. I'd been eyeing these things at Lowes for quite some time but at this point ($75 at Krogers) I had already decided against the Char-Griller and was thinking about something more sturdy and that looked a bit more traditional.

Went shopping at the Krogers again about a month later and I decided, out of curiousity, to check on the price or if the Griller was still there. Sure enough it was there only this time it was marked down to $50. I eyeballed it again and bounced it around in my head. I could put the $50 towards a Brinkman or something else that I was certain I wanted (but I've already been wanting to get a "bigger" grill for a loooooong time). I thought again about the price and thought about what I could get for $50 as for a grill. I thought about the $48 box type of standard grill at Lowes and said forget that this is DEFINITELY worth it.

I still need to build it. Any hints on what or what not to do when building?

Also another question please - Is wood from a pecan tree good to use for seasoning this thing as well as smoking or laying in the charcoal basket along with charcoal? I might be able to get some free. As well can any parts of the tree be used - like small branches with the leaves stripped and such (not just heavy chunks)?

Thanks gang. Glad a nice person forwarded me to this group. I had no idear there was a Char-Griller community! :)

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:37 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Well Stros you're definitely in the right place. We have a lot of CG owners like yourself. We'd like for you to take time to register & join us if you haven't already (not required - just better :wink: ).

Be sure to check out the extensive Chargriller Family thread: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467

Pecan wood: I love it. In my opinion it is one of the BEST woods for smoking in general (each persons tastes vary). It blends well with fruit woods to. It's not a strong as hickory or mesquite to me. It'll be a great wood to season your smoker and to cook with.

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:09 pm
Queue rare
rare

Thank you Bob-BQN. I registered. I actually found this thread from the thread you mentioned.

When I was directed to that informational thread I was indeed happy to have gotten the Char-Griller. Seems there are some very happy customers.

Question on the Pecan wood - Are branches ok to use as fuel. It sounds silly but I'm trying figure out if it's worth a 30 something mile trip with these gas prices. I think most are branches and some are hunks of wood.

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:22 pm
Longmill well done
well done

Welcome Queue. Glad you've decided to register and join the fun here.

Know what you mean about gas prices. :( Branches are OK. Just wouldn't use tiny ones that are almost all bark. If these are trimmings from a tree, they need to be seasoned before you use them. Using green wood can cause a cresoate build up in your CG.

Use any seasoned (dry) wood that you have available to season your CG. I used hickory chunks for mine with good results. The bonus for doing this is you'll have more of the special woods, like pecan, for smoking.

See if the source of the pecan will hold it for you until you can combine more than one purpose for the trip. If it is green, split and stack so it has good ventilation in a dry location. Don't put it on concrete or lay it on the ground. In a few months you'll have some mighty fine wood for smoking.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your CG! :)
Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:23 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Queue! :D

I use anything that's an inch in diameter or larger. The smaller branches will have thinner bark but if they are too small it's mostly bark and they'll burn up too quickly anyway. Most of what I have is branches from a storm.

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:08 pm
johann well done
well done

I used googone to get the decals off

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:13 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

northwestsmoker wrote:
I have already got plans for my wifes apple tree (how I hate that tree!).

Wayne, I hate that tree too! How about I take care of it for you, send you 80% of the wood back in boxes labled "Hickory" and that way your sweetie won't know and we both have some wood! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, ok, maybe not - but its the thought that counts! :)

Congrats on your new top-of-the-line smoker. You are gonna love it!

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:24 pm
Queue rare
rare

Thank you to Longmill and Bob-BQN for the welcome and the info. on pecan limbs (as well as how to season the wood itself). I'm going to find out how big the limbs are and find out if it's worth the drive.

I just built her tonight - gonna head over to that thread for a couple of questions/concerns. Can't believe I'm finally looking at this thing at my place and not at Lowes for once! I don't think there was one time on my trips to Lowes that I didn't head over and inspect this and the other "few" "charcoal" grills they had. Always reevaluated and checked on the price.

Long live Kroger mark downs! 8)

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:21 am
Longmill well done
well done

Glad you've gotten her put together. If you have a camera, take some pix for your BBQ log. Even if you haven't started a log, yet, you'll have them when you do start one. :wink:

FWIW, anywhere I go, if they sell merchandise for backyard cooking, I have to wander through that department. No wonder it takes me a half hour to find a box of nails at a home improvement store. :lol:

Take your time and get her well seasoned, then fire her up for some good eating! Do keep us updated on your doings, with pix, if you can. And, feel free to ask, if you have any questions along the path to the dinner table.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:25 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Welcome Queue,
Glad you joined us. :D

Previous

Return to General Discussion