Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smokebox for char-griller

Smokebox for char-griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:42 pm

A Chargiller's forum? Can't wait! I've spent all morning trying to find the links and threads that I've read on various topics for the CG (or Q'n in general) that I want to keep track of, and then comes along the Z with the idea to make the process easier and more user-specific via a forum just for us. The biggest problem I've had in keeping track of ideas and tips is that a thread starts off on Subject X and in the middle of it comes a comment on Subject Y - and Y is the one I want to recall but can't find cause it's buried in Subject X thread. Bet the CG forum and Z's structure of hints and references will be the ticket.

thanks guys!

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:59 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

The Chargriller is in the house. Picked it up this morning. Going to put it together & season it Sun. I told the wife I wanted to do pulled pork first. She asked me what was pulled pork. I said I don't know, but it sounds good. We went to Rib Crib for lunch, & they had it. Ordered some & I will be doing that first for sure. Good stuff!
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:00 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Congratulation jm42fan,
Pulled pork is a great thing to cook first in this smoker. Just keep in mind that it takes a long time. But that’s a good thing, because it will give a chance to spend time learning your new smoker.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:11 am
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

I made Pulled Pork last Sunday for the first time and it was GREAT! I have seen it before at restaurants but never had it before. It was really juicy and tender and that smokey flavor... yumm...

I was only trying it out so it was just me and the wife. It did take a big longer than I expected so I was glad it was just us two. It took me around 8.5 hours on my chargriller at a temp around 200 degrees. I found out i didn't use enough charcoal so the temp was a bit low but next time, it will come out better. I'm still eating my pulled pork. I put it in sandwiches, tortillas with some hot sauce.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:42 pm
mah712rn rare
rare

Hi all. New to the Chargriller family but man am I glad to have been adopted.I've had a gas grill as long as I can remeber but I just received my super pro about 2 months ago when my gas grill died. It was an early fathers day gift. she tried to talk me into another gas grill but I insisted on the charcoal (and it just looks so good with the side fire box LOL) she loves it now even thoygh I truly am a BBQ rookie ccoking with gas is way Diff. but I am getting better. I still havn't mastered the SFB yet any tips would be greatly appreciated.

also as I'm new I think I created a license plate but how do I attach it to my posts?

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Queue rare
rare

Hi gang - Noob here. Just built my Char-Griller tonight (no fire box yet).

I've got a question about the wheels however it has nothing to do with the placement (side shelf or firebox).

First off, I'm wondering if something was missing. The axle has holes in it but there were no directions on what to insert (the hole is between the hubcap and the wheel on the axle). It's hard for me to believe that two hubcaps are going to hold these wheels on with that weight (especially because one hubcap is so loose it pops right off).

Did I goof or is something amiss. Thanks.

Oh, also. How tight did you tighten the nuts on the thing? Until firm or until you can't turn any more?

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:36 am
Longmill well done
well done

Those hubcaps are supposed to hold the wheels on the axle. If you have a defective one, email wendy@chargriller.com to let her know you have a problem. In the meantime, you can put a pin in the hole to keep the wheel on. If you don't have a pin, slip in a nail with a head on it. Then, use a pair of pliers to bend the nail.

When I assembled my CG, I left all the nuts loose until I had everything put together. Makes it easier to get things to line up. Then, tightened them tight. Not to the point of stripping the threads :) , but good and snug. Next, after firing it a few times, went back and checked them again. Found several that were loose. Couple I think I missed, but believe the combo of moving it and the heating cycles loosened some of them.

Since then, I periodically check them when doing a full blown cleanup. Especially those that may be affected by moving it.

Hope this helps.
Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:17 am

Just toss hitch pins in the hole, the work alot better than the caps and look more manly if you as me.

My second mod will be puttin on nice wheels.

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:08 pm
Queue rare
rare

Thanks to the both of you. I'm going to email that person to see If I can't get a free replacement (w/free shipping) on the cap.

Hitch pins - I need to get some for the lawn mower anyway. Might as well get a few.

Until then I'll just have to temporarily mod it the way I did the lawnmower. ...bent paperclip.

Thanks for the ideas and email addy.

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:57 pm
Queue rare
rare

Hi all. I lucked out and found a FSB at Lowes on clearance ($35). It stated that it was damaged and missing parts. After installing it I saw no signs of damage. I noticed that the 1" screws were not in the package. The instructions said to use those screws to hold the grates in place but as far as I can tell the FSB has built in areas for both the cooking grates and wood/coal grate to sit. Did the FSB come with cooking utensils? I did not get any of those. I think the only reason this thing was reduced in price was because the cardboard box the FSB was packaged in was damaged.

I was able to knock out the holes and the football shaped panel with hammer and screwdriver. No drill or metal bits needed. Not sure if cooking on the Char-Griller over time would make punching those welded parts harder or not.

For anyone needing to add a FSB I would say that it is a fairly easy task but it will take a bit of time. ....and if you've already cooked quite a few times on your Char-Griller than the task will become messy because the nuts and bolts will have a nice, dark and greasy residue on them (a good seasoning).

I have a question (sorry this isn't really a FSB question), please. I store my CG in a garage that becomes flooded when raining (we've gotten a lot of rain in TX) and also gets damp because of a washer and dryer. I usually cover it with the CG cover. As of late the CG has grown some fuzzy stuff all over the grates and other parts of the grill. When I added the fire box, I did a good spray down of everything with water and then re-oiled when everything was dry. I stored it in the garage again however I left the cover off thinking it would get more air circulating through it. Well, only a few days later and this thing is growing fuzzy stuff again.

What is that, how should I clean it (if I need to) and is there any way to prevent it from happening again (maybe storing charcoal in the grill?)? Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:59 pm
Queue rare
rare

Hi all. I would like to either add better wheels or add additional wheels to make my CG w/SFB roll more smoothly on my rather rugged and bumpy driveway.

Are there any good ideas and specific instructions on what type of wheels to purchase and how to modify it? Thank you for any ideas.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:15 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey Queue, my best guess on the fuzzy stuff, it's probably a mold. With all the rain we've been getting, mold spores are off the charts! Best thing to do would be to fire it up and get the grates good-n-hot so as to burn off all the living, growing matter and then give it another light coating of oil.

There are a couple of good wheel mods with pictures posted on the board.

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:54 am
Queue rare
rare

Thanks Bob-BQN. I'll do just that. I've got to get some smoke going in the fire box anyway to get it seasoned. I'll just try and evaporate the mold with some heat. I went ahead and threw a few charcoal pieces in there along with some newspaper while it is stored to see if that will help with keeping things dryer.

Sorry about the "wheels" post in this thread. I thought I had posted it in the Wheels thread. I'll do a search for those pictures.

Thanks again.

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:12 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm about a month away from moving to the new place and getting a CG Outlaw with SFB, and I've also got a wheels question.

Is there any problem with having two sets of wheels on this rig?

I found a good deal on the same type of wheels the CG uses (and better ones!) and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:10 am
jstewart well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy,

Have you seen the mods that Livn2smoke made to his grill? I don't know why something like this wouldn't work with the Outlaw (at least that is a guess based on the pictures). The mods he made include a handle and the ability to pivot one set of wheels. Anyway, check out the link and make sure you scroll down to check out all of his pictures (more than one posting in the thread).

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... start=2640
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion