Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Recommendations on grills under $500?

Recommendations on grills under $500?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:53 pm
bourj medium
medium

I'm moving in a couple weeks, and a grill is a #1 priority for the new place.

I was looking for a mid-range gas grill, and I've pretty much settled on a Weber Genesis Silver B. However, I was just curious if there were other grills out there that some of the more experienced grillers on here might recommend I check out.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:45 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thats a great grill!
Buy it!
Enjoy!

Stick around the board, any questions you have on how to use it, ask them here, and we'll take care of you!

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:36 pm
1cajuncook medium
medium

I have the Grand Hall from Sams and love it. Gets hot enough to sear steaks and can also get it low enough for chickens. it is stainless steel with SS grates. It also has an infared burner for rotisserie cooking. The side burner gets hot enough to fry fish or shimp. The burners are cast iron not some thin pipe like the Jenn Air for the same price.

A great grill for about $500.
Life's too short to eat bland food.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:46 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Buy the Weber, and 10 years from now, it will still be performing like new. If any parts wear out, just call Weber. If they're still under warranty (super long), they'll send a replacement right away, no hassle. They probably won't even want the old part back. If it's out of warranty, you can get replacement parts anywhere. Remember that all that fancy exterior SS doesn't do a thing for the grill's cooking ability. You need even heat across the grill surface, the ability to get hot enough to sear, and a good solid design. Weber has all these.

Buy something else, who knows how long it will last, and good luck on replacement parts

1cajuncook wrote:
IThe burners are cast iron not some thin pipe like the Jenn Air for the same price.

Cajumcook, aren't you concerned that your cast iron burners will quickly rust? Between humidity and the frequently acidic juices from meat, it seems to me that they will be rusted in a few years. I understand the reason for cast iron grates, but it seems to me that burners should be brass or SS to avoid rust.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:15 pm
1cajuncook medium
medium

Hey Paul,

The drippings from the meat keep them seasoned. I've had it over a year and there are no signs of rust yet. I agree that brass would be the best but some of the SS burners I saw were very thin and didn't look like they'd hold up.
Life's too short to eat bland food.

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:12 am
Vinsect well done
well done

When I saw the title of this post I imediately thought Weber Genesis Silver B.
Your on the right track.
I've never known anyone to regret getting that grill.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion