Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pit Beef in BBQ USA

Pit Beef in BBQ USA

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:35 am
mappler raw
raw

Has anyone made the Pit Beef in BBQ USA yet?
-Matt

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:00 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Yes its quite good.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:55 pm
jayfal rare
rare

I made it a month ago for my monthly poker crew and it was a huge hit. Six guys killed 2 4lb roasts with no leftovers. It took a bit longer to cook than the book notes, but it was a great meal.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:28 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

jayfal,
Welcome to the group. Glad you joined us. Stick around and enjoy the Que. :)

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:28 am
jayfal rare
rare

Glad to be here. I hope to absorb some bbq expertise.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:47 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Since I was raised in east Baltimore and eastern Baltimore county, I have fond memories of eating pit beef from many different roadside stands. I definitely need to try Steven's recipe to see how it compares to the meat I remember.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:12 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Paul, it didn't seem the same to me and I've done it twice since I got BBQ USA. I think it's got more to do with the rub as the places I got it I think just used salt and pepper.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:47 pm
mappler raw
raw

Unfortunately, I was only able to obtain Eye Round, not Top Round, however, the flavor was outstanding. As with the other poster, the cooking time was somewhat longer than the book estimated. I think next time I will cook it at slightly higher temperatures than the medium I was at.

The sidebar in the book recommends an indirect cook to replicate the modified direct grilling. I may try that as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on slicing this meet thin? I tried the food processor ( as the book suggested) and that was a total failure. The meet would rotate in the processor and end up cutting with the grain rather than across it. I was using the slicer blade in the cuisinart.

-Matt

Return to General Discussion