Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Question for goldenbear

Question for goldenbear

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:25 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, Abe.

Rob

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:31 pm

Thanks all! And I'll try the calibration action tonight---we're doing ribs this weekend so I want to be spot on!

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:17 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Abe Froman! :D

Sounds like your briskets were cooking too fast. There is much information on the forum about why the stock thermometer's reading is off, location, location, location. :wink: Your thermometer may already be calibrated dead-on. It's reading the air temperature in the top of the lid and not at grate level. Air temperature is different all over the inside of a smoker, the thermometer needs to be closer to the food to know what temperature the food is cooking at.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:20 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Thanks Bob, you said exactly what I meant. :wink:
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:31 pm

Bob-BQN wrote:
Welcome to the board Abe Froman! :D

Sounds like your briskets were cooking too fast. There is much information on the forum about why the stock thermometer's reading is off, location, location, location. :wink: Your thermometer may already be calibrated dead-on. It's reading the air temperature in the top of the lid and not at grate level. Air temperature is different all over the inside of a smoker, the thermometer needs to be closer to the food to know what temperature the food is cooking at.

So, can I get a themometer with a longer stick (e.g. deep fryer them) that may still fit the stock hole?

Trying to get by with as a little work as necessary before Sat 8)

I guess I could keep using my digital themometer but I never can get it to rest. It's so sensitive. Maybe I need to be a bit more liberal of my temp range when using it.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:41 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Buy an oven thermometer and set it next to the meat on the cooking grate. It's cheap and easy

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:21 am
TX Sandman well done
well done

wlfpkrcn wrote:
Buy an oven thermometer and set it next to the meat on the cooking grate. It's cheap and easy

Just be sure to test it for accuracy. I just bought one from Wally World and it's off by 25* (200 temp=225 on the therm). Mine didn't have a way to adjust it, but now I know to subtract 25 from the temp. The thing's about $6, so it's not worth returning. It'll work til I get a replacement.

Rob

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:50 pm
tbing13 raw
raw

hello i am new to the board. I have been a chargriller owner since july. I have side fire box and i am still having trouble with temp control. I am cooking brisket now and i can not keep a steady temp it is all over the place. I am using wood to cook with,is that the problem? I have read through all of these threads about temp control. I have made a rack in the fire box, and extended the dryer vent down to the grill grates. Anybody else have any ideas?

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:14 pm
olewarthog well done
well done

tbing

Welcome to the forum. I have never cooked with only wood in my CG, but I do imagine that temp control would be more difficult that using charcoal. The key no matter the fuel type is to make small adjustments to the side vent then give it time to stabilize. There is a learning curve with the CG. After a few cooks, you will learn where to set your vents for best results.

That being said, I use charcoal for fuel & wood chunks for smoke flavor in my CG & have few problems getting stable temps. I use a Charbroil shaker basket that is sold at Lowes & fill all but one corner of it with charcoal with a few wood chunks mixed like this:

I then light about half to 3/4 of a small, generic chimney of charcoal. When it is burning good I dump it into the open space

I have my stack & the SFB vent wide open. I hardly ever change the stack vent. Just leave it wide open all the time. When the temp at cooking grate level in the main chamber gets around 210, I close the side vent down to less than 1/4 open. The temp will slowly rise & stablize around 230 or so
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Char Broil 3 burner gasser
ECB

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:47 pm
tbing13 raw
raw

Thanks olewarthog.. I think i am going to have to switch to using more charcoal than wood. How long of a cook does that set up get you befor you have to add more charcoal? Also when are you adding charcoal

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:21 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the board, tbing13! :D

Yes - cooking with wood alone or mostly wood will generate greater temperature swings compared to charcoal alone or charcoal with a few chunks thrown in.

Generally speaking, most CG users opt for a charcoal basket like the one shown in olewarthog's pics. I fill mine with a full Weber chimney of unlit coals and top it with a half-full chimney of lit coals and about 3-4 fist-sized chunks of wood. I usually close my vents down to about 1/3 or even 1/4 open, and the basket lasts me about 5 1/2 hours or so.

If my cooking time seems likely to be more than 5 hours I'll often add another half-full chimney or more of unlit coals. I use Royal Oak charcoal and it seems to give me no issues when I add unlit coals over lit ones. However, I've personally had some soot issues when I do the same with Kingsford so if that's all I have I make sure that they're lit coals instead of unlit ones.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:44 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Looks like this thread got resurrected from the dead :lol:

Welcome tbing13!!!!!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:31 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

tbing13, believe it or not I've been to Bolivar before. Been many moons ago, I used to live in Canton, that used to be pretty much God's country out there. Welcome to the flock, they have you covered here. .
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:13 pm
tbing13 raw
raw

Thanks for the help from everyone. Its good to see atleast someone knows were bolivar is :lol:

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:12 pm
Danny rare
rare

Since it was resurrected, can I ask a question. In the pics above, what's the purpose of the basket in the fire box??

The thread that won't die. :D Sorry.
Danny

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion