Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mops

Mops

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:22 pm
Loene rare
rare

I am just wondering how the people out there clean their mop's when they are done with the bbq
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:29 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Loene take a look at this thread, it will probably answer your question: Mop Cleaning

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:41 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

Like one of those guys mentioned, I don't see why you would need a mop. I just use a brush and it seems to work just fine. But I can't imagine using the brush for a whole hog. I guess it all depends on how much meat you have to mop.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:44 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

Loene wrote:
I am just wondering how the people out there clean their mop's when they are done with the bbq

Personally I prefer a mop over a brush. I think that you get your sauce on whatever your slathering quicker, and therefore get the lid closed faster. I also feel you can apply a thicker/heavier application of said sauce.

I'll take you through a typical course of events for one of my mops.
Remoce from your holding device (drawer, appliance carousel, hanging hook, etc.

Wet said mop with water. THIS IS IMPERATIVE, so your sauce stays on the surface and doesn't soak in too deep.

Squeeze excess water out.

Use as directed until you, and the rest of your dinner party are stuffed to the explosion point.

While holding on to the handle grab and squeeze as much of the remaining sauce out of the cotton fibers as you can. This pertains more to heavy sauces like barbecue types as opposed to thin "true" mop sauces.

Get a tall thin glass (preferably non breakable about a 12 ouncer) Under running warm water put the mop in the glass full of water, and slosh up and down vigorously while clean water is still running into the glass. After about 15 seconds of this your mop will be pretty well cleaned. You might see a little fiber staining from a heavy sauce but the next step will cure that.

Place in the dishwasher and run the cycle.

Here's another important part. After the merry go round cycle is complete, I'll do the slosh in the glass routine again. I feel this removes any residual detergent, and or rinse aid that may be in the cotton fibers. This should alleviate a tainted sauce the next time.

Squeeze the water out

Hang vertically after fluffing the fibers a bit with the handle up until dry.

Replace in holding device till you need it tomorrow... :D

Now here's another thought. Mop or brush. For a heavy sauce (barbecue type) a lot of times I'll actually pour this on the recipient right from the bowl, and just use the mop or brush to spread the goods. This process only works with something heavy that isn't gong to run though.

Joe

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:58 pm
chagan well done
well done

Great info SS, I guess that is why I never cared for the mops- I never wet them first, then when I put them in a bowl of sauce, all the sauce was gone :? I do like my natural bristle paint brushes though. I found that most of the time a mop would be overkill for the amount that I am cooking. I would still like to get a mini-mop (one that is smaller than the usual size) to substitute for my paint brushes but I haven't come across one yet. The Grand Scale suggested using a mop designed to clean glasses but haven't seen one of them there ones either. Any links you fine folks want to post to help me out would be appreciated.

Cheers.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:20 pm

Try http://www.alliedkenco.com/bbq.htm. They have mops for less then $2.00. Order 5-10 of them and give them a try. If you don't like them, your fellow BBQers can have some gifts.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:16 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I ditched the mop some time ago myself. Great for doing a whole hog but IMHO not a very efficient tool for personal size cooks. I too use natural bristle brushes.

Return to General Discussion