Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled cantalope !??!

Grilled cantalope !??!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:42 pm

Hello all,

A while back, I picked up the June 2004 Indy Mens Magazine. and they had a grilling
guide by a local chef. They had an A-Z chart of foods to grill or not grill.
M was melon, and they said that if you skewered the melon and brushed it with butter,
it could be grilled.

Anyway, I cut up some, skewered it , brushed it with melted butter and grilled it.
It didn't turn out so well. I put some Kool Whip with it and it was ok.
I reheated some in a microwave that night for dinner and it was better reheated.

Has anyone here grilled any melon? Anyone have any tips?
Or I am ruining a perfectly good fruit.?
One idea I have is to put some rum in with the melted butter...

Thanks,

Hoosier_Griler
It's never too cold to grill!!

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:54 pm
Big D well done
well done

I am not a big melon fan my self and subsequently havent grilled it.. I have done many fruit kebabs though with strawberries, apples, pears, peches etc and they turn out well.... I imagine melon could to..

I would try it like SR's grilled pineapple where he cuts the pineapple in half and hollows it (then cubes the pineapple meat and puts it back in the center with some melted vanilla ice cream) then freezes it, adds some mereginue and grills it.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:55 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thats a darrned good question. I know squashes turn out great. Melons are similar, so why not. I shall try it and report back. Maybe honeydew would be good. Perhaps this weekend. I'm pretty certain that watermelon won't work though!

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:39 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK. I'm back.

try wrapping proscuitto (sp) or parma ham around each slice securing it with toothpicks.

Grill just until the ham changes color and brush witha good ( and I mean GOOD balsamic vin.)

No cheap chain store drek allowed here. Go to a reputable gourmet or high end groc. and expect to pay 15-20 clams or so.

It really does make a difference on this one.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Return to General Discussion