Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Smoking

Weber Smoking

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:28 pm
Brody rare
rare

I use a Weber gas grill. I have a smoker box and preheat to the point of smoke coming out of the box. Then however, when I turn down the heat to a lower temperature, the smoke generally disappears until I turn the grill on high afterwards to clean the grate. Tonight we were treated to the great smell of smoke while we ate and the grill was sitting empty with the setting on high...

Any suggestions?

Also, I have the cast iron grates which are nice, but I've never found a brush which fits between them to clean them as well as I'd like.

Any ideas on that?

Thank you.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:34 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This is what I use to clean the spaces between the cast iron grates:
They’re available at most BBQ stores, and they work very well.
As far as smoking in your gas grill, if all fails, try using a small foil pan with 2-3 lit charcoal briquettes in it. Place the soaked chips on top of the coals and you’re guaranteed some smoke. I don’t have a Weber gas grill, but that’s what I usually do in my gas grill. I don’t know if you could place the coals in your smoker box or not (since I don’t have a Weber), but you may also try that. A foil pouch filled with wood chips and placed near the burner will also work well.
I hope this helps.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:49 am
Big D well done
well done

I have a Weber Summit GOld D and use the smoker box ALL the time... you might be turning it down to low too soon.. keep it on high to preheat the box and place the chips in the box and keep it on high to thick smoke is bellowing out - dont turn it down when it just starts to smoke- I can sometimes see the cips actually on fire in the box.. this is my que, I turn it down to low - but I dont turn it all the way down and certainly not off....

Hope this helps - good luck and enjoy

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:52 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

Brody wrote:
I use a Weber gas grill. I have a smoker box and preheat to the point of smoke coming out of the box. Then however, when I turn down the heat to a lower temperature, the smoke generally disappears until I turn the grill on high afterwards to clean the grate.Thank you.

You didn't state what you were cooking or your target temperature. If I'm using the smoke box in my Weber 3000 (Silver C) I'm usually running it with the front burner wide open and the center and back off. This will give you a moderate temp at the thermometer of about 300F, depending on ambient temp and wind speed. If your food is at the back of the grill the temp at the food level should be less than that. Do Steve's Mississippi test. I'm not an engineer but the holes in the front of the smoke box are bigger, and this is also where the chimney is located to direct the heat/flame from the burner to the holes in the smoke box. The holes in the back of the smoke box are smalller and you've also got the liquid tray to contend with. This leads me to believe that the majority of the heat and flame for wood ignition should come from the front burner. I know when I pack the box full that the wood up front will be ashes, and the wood in the back under the water tray may still look as if it was just removed from the soaking bucket. This is true even if the center and rear burners are lit. Now FWIW I have been known to help the smoking process along a bit by using a self igniting propane torch tip to get the wood burning a little faster if I don't want to wait. I work it kind of like a chimney starter. I'll put a few chips or chinks in the box and hit them with the torch to get them going. Then I'll add the rest. The key here is not to pack the box so tight with wood that you hinder the natural draft effect.

Joe

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:25 pm
Roundtuit rare
rare

I have a Weber Silver B and used to have problems with the amount of smoke. For me it works best if I don't soak the chips first. I put chips in a LONG aluminum pouch and place them under the grates and on top of the length of the front burner. Then I turn ALL burners on high until I see a LOT of smoke. Only then do I turn the burners down and turn off the center one to start cooking. That way it seems to give me a lot more smoke although I will add another packet of chips after about an hour. Hope this helps.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:35 am
jm42fan well done
well done

Hey Brody

The brush that Z shows looks like a good one. I tried something today, that i read about on this site & I asume it will work on cast. I used a loosely crumpled piece of aluminum foil. I was really surprised at how well this worked. Try it if you don't have a brush yet.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:25 pm
Brody rare
rare

I appreciate all of your responses. I tried it this weekend with the front burner on high and the other two off and it kept the smoke going nicely. I've always done indirect heat with the middle off and the other two on medium or lower, but this seemed to work.

Re: the brush, I've used that model and it always seems to be just a bit too big, so that it gets worn out with a few uses (or perhaps I'm just cheap and want it to last longer).

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. It was helpful.

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:15 am
PaulP well done
well done

The loosely wadded foil idea sounds like it would work. You could also use a putty knife before you heat the grill.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion