Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pics and a question

Pics and a question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:25 pm
BBQBean rare
rare

Where is a place I could host a few pic for this board? I also have another question, I cooked the ribs for like 5 hours at aprox. 250 to 300 degrees and they were still not as tender as I wanted them. I pulled the membrane off and marinated them in Apple Cider and Lemon Juice. I'm trying to get them so that the bones will pull right out, any suggestions?

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:10 am
Vinsect well done
well done

http://www.imageshack.us or just type
free image hosting
in a search engine for a list of others.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:24 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

A good method for cooking ribs is the 3-2-1 approach.

3 hours in the smoke
2 hours in foil
1 hour back in smoke
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:53 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

BBQBean wrote:
I cooked the ribs for like 5 hours at aprox. 250 to 300 degrees and they were still not as tender as I wanted them. I'm trying to get them so that the bones will pull right out, any suggestions?

Boil them (but you didn't hear that from me). Ribs that "fall off the bone" are usually boiled. The problems are you're sending the flavor and melted fat down the drain with the water. Ribs that are grilled/barbecued SHOULD have a little chew to them. You state that you've cooked them for an extended period at a relatively low temp. Were they in foil during any of this time, Was any type of a liquid replenishment used I.E. a mop sauce, when they weren't foil protected? You also don't state the type of ribs you cooked. Spares are tougher and chewier than backs.
It's also possible you got a "tough" rack.
Your profile doesn't state where you're typing from. Add that in for us as that might have some bearing on meat quality.

Joe

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:42 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

BBQBean,
We never boil ribs around here. The best way to cook ribs is low and slow. If you’re using a smoker, then keep the temp around 225. If you’re using a grill, then keep the temp below 300 degrees as much as possible. And Always cook ribs on the grill using the indirect method. Also placing some water in the drip pan will help control the temp and keeps the rib moist. Spray or mop you rib with apple cider every hour for a smoker or every 30 min for a grill. During the last hour of smoking, wrap the ribs in foil. If you like BBQ sauce on your ribs, add it before sealing the foil, or some apple cider to keep them moist. I promise, you’ll have ribs falling of the bones.
Also it may be helpful to tell us what kind of set up you’re using and whether you’re cooking spare ribs or baby backs. This way I can give a suggested cooking time and directions.
Good Luck.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:08 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Great advice DarkRubiTJ & Z.

Another image hosting site is www.photobucket.com
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:08 pm
BBQBean rare
rare

Some more info: the first 3 hours they sat at the far end (away from the fire) of my Silver Smoker in a rib rack and I sprayed them with apple cider every hour. The next hour and a half they were wrapped in foil after a good spraying of cider then I brushed with BBQ sauce and let cook outside of foil another 30 min. The temp would vary between 250 and 300 (starting every hour with a new chimney would bring the temp back up to 300). If I understand correctly this should have produced awesome ribs and my ribs were good but still sub-par. I used to cook ribs on a gas grill slow for 30 to 45 min and then wrap in foil w/ BBQ sauce for another hour, this produced good ribs but no smoke flavor and I still think I can do better.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:17 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

BBQBean what your saying sounds like you should have gotten the desired results, but...Since you didn't; here is what I look for: I watch for the rib meat to pull back from the end of the bone and at the same time I'm watching the short end to make sure it doesn't dry out. (I can't see the end of the bones in the photo which indicates to me that they weren't ready to wrap, but they look delicious) Once the bone starts to show about 1/4 or more I check to see if it'll move. When I get a little movement then I wrap them in foil with some apple cider &/or BBQ sauce for and hour or two. I've always heard good about 3-2-1 for spare ribs and 2-2-1 for baby backs, seems to be a sure fire method.

Nice looking hen too!

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Great advice Z.

Another image hosting site is www.photobucket.com

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:43 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BBQBean- First off GREAT PICTURES. I see you're a Lager drinker so I'm bound by brotherhood of beer to try to help. But I'd agree with what Bob and Z have already said. It just looks sooo good I can't believe it wasn't perfect. Keep trying and don't give up.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:11 pm
Big D well done
well done

thanks for the pics, they look great!

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:47 pm
BBQBean rare
rare

Darn!! I guess this mean I'll have to grill more ribs. :lol:

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:30 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Now that's the spirit! :D

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:36 am
steve

smoke your ribs at 225 for 6-7 hours , spraying once an hour with apple juice and they will fall off the bone

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:29 am
mechainc rare
rare

My sure fire way to get ribs to almost desintegrate is to marinade them (however you like) the wrap them up in 3-4 turns of aluminium foil, start the lump charcoal (I have never gotten good results with briquettes... heck I don't ever use brikettes unles there is a charcoal emergency...) when the charcoal is about 1/2 way to becoming embers put the foil pakets in the grill using Direct heat... with the membrane side down... close the grill.... check in in about 30-45 mins... open a packet and see if the meat is pealing off the bone, if its not, just close it back up and check in 15 mins... if it is the its time to have fun, remove the grate with the ribs and put it somewhere safe, now seperate tthe charcoal to create an indirect heat setup (I just rake it to both sides and stick a big drip pan in the middle.) and throw in some soakedwood chips, whe they start to smoke put the grate with the ribs back on, and open up the packets at the top kind of like a baked potato, and let them cook indirectly for some 20-30 mins to get all that smoked flavor in. then just take 'em out of the foil give them a good basting and a few turns right on the grate to get the meat seared and the always so important grillid lines on the meat. Now sit bak and enjoy some excelent ribs that will come right off the bone.

BTW the heat is normally around 400* when cooking the ribs on the foil packets.

Good Luck.

Ed.

P.S. this was pretty long for a first post!!! :D

Next

Return to General Discussion