Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Picture from the roast beef tonight.

Picture from the roast beef tonight.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:34 am
Rifter well done
well done

People seemed to enjoy it. It tasted very good. Thanks for all the hints and Tips. Ended up doing a more fruity version of Z's recipe. Then covered it in bacon. Here is a picture (Click the image for a larger version):
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:52 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Kevin although I would have probably sliced it cross grain, that roast looks tender and juicy enough to server either way. It's just screaming FLAVOR!

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:07 am
Big D well done
well done

looks greaaaaaaat!

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:16 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

That looks awesome Riffter,
Your first attempt with the CharGriller seems very successful. Do tell us about your first experience with the new grill.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:02 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Here is how I did it.
Rub:
1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup brown surgur
4 table spoons garlic powder
2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon oregano

I let the rub sit for about 1.5 hours, while I finished putting the side fire box on the Chargriller.

I then created a marinade, based on Z's instructions
1/2 cup Worchishire sauce
1 small can crushed pinapples
1/4 cup rice vinegar (I didn't have cider vinegar, I discovered)
5 tbsp lime juice
about 4 or 5 cloves of minced garlic
1 tsp oregano
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

I let marinade for about 15 hours, at which point I had my wife start up the grill (I was, unfrotunately, at work). We put it on the grill, and covered it with bacon "ends and pieces" that were very heavy on the fat. Also, we sprayed it down with an apple cider with a bit of lemon juice and lime juice mixture, about every hour. There was also a tray of cider water just past the entrace into the grill, to help moisten the air. We used a chimney of charcoal, and a handful of hickory chips. About 2.5 hrs later, I put on another chimney of charcoal and about 2 handfuls of soaked hickory chips. About 1.5 hrs past that, we put one more chimney of charcoal in (Unstarted), and another handful of soaked chips. About 2 hours after that, I started another chimney of charcoal and another handful and a half of wood chips.

We had a lot of troubles getting the heat over about 180 internal. The Roast plataued around 156 internal. The outside started to really blacken. I pulled it off at 158 to allow it heat 5deg and put it into the pan you saw above. I let it sit for about 7 minutes, and then we cut into it, and you can see the pictures. So, I need to figure out how to get the grill up to tempature more... probably more charcoal. Thanks for everyone's tips, that made this VERY successful.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:33 pm
Daemien rare
rare

mmmm.. looks great!! *drool*

Regarding the meat not coming up to temp.. I noticed the same thing the first time I did chicken breasts low and slow. After 4.5 hours they weren't up to temp, but I pulled'em anyways and they were done. Not sure why this would be... anybody have any ideas?

D.

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:03 pm
BBQBean rare
rare

I have noticed the same thing with all my BCCs got them in the range of 165 or so and pulled them. They were all great and didn't seem underdone but I wish the thermometer would tell me that.

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:49 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Riffter,
All meats usually have a plateau of temp for a while. Surprisingly, the temp will start to climb up all the sudden. This happens often with pork shoulders or any large cuts of meats. Raising the temp will dry up the meat and serve no purpose. The only way that you could’ve sped up the process without drying the meat is by wrapping the roast with foil and adding some of the mop and marinade juice to it. That’s what I usually do with the chuck roast.
If you make the recipe again, try the spray mixture:
1 part pineapple juice
1 part Worchishire sauce
2 parts beer
This mop/spray sauce will compliment the flavor of the marinade.

Daemien,
What temp were you cooking your chicken at?

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:49 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Well, what REALLY worried me, is the outside was looking really black, like it was really, really burned. At 156, my friends that were here, said to take it off, so I did. It was pretty moist. I think we put the extra water in the main chamber a little later than we should have. So, that probably would have helped. Your spray sounds good. I will try it. I really like Pineapple for BBQ. :-)
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Return to General Discussion