Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoky Potato Salad

Smoky Potato Salad

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:47 pm
BeaverBone medium-rare
medium-rare

I came up with a Recipe for "Smoky Potato Salad" recently ( I'm always tweaking the ingredients), Everyone who's tried it has asked for more- it uses canned Chipotles for the smoky taste. Depending on how much you use, it'll range from Smoky to Hot!! :twisted:
SMOKY POTATO SALAD
2 lbs Small red potatoes
4 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
2T Sea salt, divided
1 Cup chopped red onoin
1 to 2 T Adobo sauce from a can of Chipotles
1 Chipotle chili. Minced, from the can (seeding the chili makes it milder)
1 Cup Mayo
1 Bunch fresh Cilantro, Chopped
Boil Potatoes in water with 1T sea salt until tender. Drain and cool until easy to handle. Combine Onion, mayc, adobo sauce, minced chipotle, cilantro and 1 T sea salt until blended. Cut potatoes in half, add eggs, and toss with the dressing.
serves 4 to 6
I added Black beans once ( for a more southwestern flavor ). I loved it, but my wife thought it was better without them. And if you use regular table salt in the recipe, use a much smaller amount.
BeaverBone

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:55 pm
BeaverBone medium-rare
medium-rare

Sorry- :oops:
I ment to post the recipe under the "Potato Salad" thread.......
I guess that comes from being a newbie!! By the way, you might try adding canned Chipotles to any existing Deviled egg recipe...Yes , I admit it, I'm a Chili head.
BeaverBone

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:13 pm
Big D well done
well done

I did something similar once, but no chipoltes.. but I charged the potatoes and some other vegtables in the coals first..... sounds good I will try the recipes

thanks

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:30 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

BeaverBone welcome to the board!

Thanks for that great recipe! I've still not been able to find chipoltes in the store, so I just make my own. :wink:

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:36 am
BeaverBone medium-rare
medium-rare

Bob and Big D-
Thanks for the warm welcome! This board is a really great braintrust of awesome BBQ knowledge! I look forward to being involved in the discussions....
In Oregon, I couldn't find Chipotles either, until I looked in the Latin section of the supermarket. There I found tiny little cans labeled "Chipotles in Adobo sauce". Now I try to keepat least a couple cans around at all times. My wife has learned to steer clear of what she calls my "Egg salad from Hell " when I'm in a Chipotle mood.
Bob, When you make your own, do you dry the peppers after you smoke them? I bet they would make a fabulous chili powder.
Thanks again;
BeaverBone

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:47 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I leave the peppers in the smoker long enough to completely dry them out, on the top shelf of course so none of the meat drips on them. Then I grind some of them for a pepper shaker on the dining room table. If any of the peppers do not completely dry we use them first or dry them seperately.

This is a good link for making your own if you are interested: http://www.randyq.addr.com/chiles/chipotles.html

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:06 am
Big D well done
well done

Bob that is an awesome link!, Thanks - I have a large Herb, Tomato and Peper Garden growing on my balcony and at my cottage I have more herbs and peper and a lot of vergtables like corn, carrots, beats, etc. I cant wait till they are ready to harvest.. I am going to have a hyday come late sptember - we always go on a big family apple pick and I do the BBQ/ Picnic.. mmmmm nothing like fresh homegrown verggies

I am definetly making a chipotle bbq sauce with homegrown peppers now!

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:17 pm
BeaverBone medium-rare
medium-rare

Awesome link Bob!! Can't wait to try this.... I have Habaneros, jalapenos, and Poblanos growing in the garden now.
After experimentation, I'll report back to all y'all!! :D
BeaverBone

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:45 pm
Daemien rare
rare

that potato salad sounds good!! Wish my wife ate it.. ;( I was going to try the non-mayo one in the other thread - she said she'd at least try that one.

Hot peppers (Jalapanos & Habaneros) are a staple in this household! I put them in almost everything I cook. The Chipotles in Adobe sauce are usually found in the Mexican aisle around here..

D.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:23 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Anything thats got the kick of peppers is up my alley. Thanks for the great ideas guys.

Return to General Discussion