Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Finding a whole brisket

Finding a whole brisket

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:18 am

I have not been able to find a whole brisket (with fat flap) in Central Oregon. Does anybody have a suggestion or mail order source for uncooked whole brisket?

Thanks, Paul
aka Midnight Rider BBQ/Chili

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:09 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

I recently moved to NE Iowa and brisket is not a very popular cut up here. One way I found to get one was to call a meat locker. The one I called typically butchers cattle for the farmer that brought the cow in. Price wasn't too bad either. From doing this a couple of times, I met a few of the farmers that bring in cows for slaughter and I now I have a regular supply.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:13 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

It just amazes me how hard it is to get good brisket in some states.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:14 am
smokyblues well done
well done

I hear ya jm42fan, in the Sooner state almost every grocery store has whole briskets fresh and ready to go. I still think Wal-Mart has the best price on the briskets and Sams has the best prices on spare ribs. Its good to be back in OK. I am still looking for a job but, its only been a week so I am still keepin my chin up. BOOMER SOONER!!!
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:19 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Hang in there Blues. Boomer Sooner
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:00 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Paul,

Finding a whole brisket or port shoulder is also difficult in the Washington, DC area. Everything one sees is cut up and severely trimmed of fat. The best solution any place is to make friends with the head of the meat department in your local grocery. I have found they are more than willing to order or make up special cuts for some one seriously interested in cooking meats.

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:46 am
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

I wanted to try cooking Pulled Pork and when I went to the local Costco for some Boston Butt, they only had boneless pork shoulder. The bag contained 10 pounds and when i bought it and I opened it, it seemed like they removed the bone and it was in 2 pieces. So I'm still going to try making pulled pork tomorrow but i have a few concerns regarding it. First, the meat is cut up (I think to get the bone out of the meat) so I'm not sure how this is gonna affect the meat. Is this gonna make the meat too crispy and not enough moist meat? Or will it turn out okay? I guess there's only one way to see by trying it out. :D

Wish me luck and hope the meat comes out good.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:55 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

goldenbear I have bone'd a pork shoulder before and cut it into two havles (grilled one and smoked one). It turned out tender and juicy, but I only cooked it to 180* for slicing.

If you have concerns about the shoulder being halved you could tie it back together roast-style with some butcher string or just lay the halves on top of each other.

You could even rotate the halves like stacked ribs or briskets to allow more surface of the meat to be exposed to the smoke.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:59 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree with Bob, it should still be ok. Keep it low, keep it moist and make sure you get to 190 for it to pull. Let us know how you made out.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:58 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

I tried it as if I was smoking 2 shoulders. It came out really good! The only snag I faced was temperature being a bit too low. I was only able to get the heat to around 200 degrees and once I used the top part of the firebox on my chargriller to put the charcoal, the temperature was easily maintained at around 275. Overall it took me 8+ hours. I think next time if I cook it at 275 for most of the duration, it should take less than that.

Any ideas how long it should be taking me?

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:26 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Bone-in usually takes me around 10-12 hours at 225*

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:37 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

So when do you start cooking the pork? 6 in the morning to get it ready by dinner time? I guess I'm still a newbie since I don't have the patience to wait that long. 8 hours for me was long. Maybe it was because I was waiting for it to finish to eat dinner and it was already 9 PM ;)

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:39 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I can usually get a whole brisket flat from my local Cub store in Minneapolis. Problem is, they're not really good briskets. As was mentioned earlier, just not a lot of fat. Last time I was in, the meat guy and I were discussing fat content in meats. He said they have a real hard time getting meat that's not all trimmed. Most people want all the fat removed. He said he's even had people ask for bacon with no fat. Go figure.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:50 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

goldenbear you can always cook ahead of time. It's great to take it straight from the cooker to the table, especially when wowing the guests, but when fixing for the family you can cook it a day or two (perhaps on the weekend) ahead of time and reheating doesn't take long. Plus this "practice" will help you better judge cooking times on your equipment.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:08 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

Bob,

Thanks for the advice. I am amazed how much meat the pulled pork created! My wife, my sister and mother in law, and I have been eating it for 2 days and we still have more than half left! And it's still pretty juicy!

Return to General Discussion