Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork Tenderloins...

Pork Tenderloins...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:42 am
dmcdtc rare
rare

All,

I have two pork tenderloins and am looking for ideas on how to grill them. The last time I made them I use a simple recipe out of the 'Smoke and Spice' book. Came out excellent but wanted to try something different.

Thinking of just applying a rub, searing them and then grilling indirect, Any other thoughts?

Dennis

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:47 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You HAVE to try the recipe that Spfranz posted for watermelon injected pork. It is absolutely great!! I didn't think I'd like the salsa with it but it too is fantastic. I've even made it without the pork and eaten it with chips! I followed his directions, cooked it indirect with a basic rub over apple wood and boy I just can't say enough good things about this recipe. TRY IT!

Watermelon-Inject Pork Tenderloin with Watermelon Salsa

Marinade:
3 cups diced watermelon meat (yields about 2 cups of juice)
3 jalapenos (leave in seeds and veins for more heat, remove for less)
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup Midori liqueur (recipe says it's optional, but I thought it made the whole dish)
2 lbs pork tenderloin
salt and pepper

1. Seed, then puree watermelon and jalapenos in a blender.
2. Strain the mixture through a sieve and return to the blender. If you won't be injecting the tenderloin, don't worry about straining the marinade.
3. Add salt, sugar and Midori liqueur and blend for 2 minutes.
4. Reserve 1 cup for basting.
5. Draw marinade up into syringe-type injector. Poke and inject marinade throughout tenderloin.
6. After marinating, season the meat with some salt and pepper.
7. Have your coals prepared on the grill and use the combination technique of direct and indirect heat. Roll the tenderloin over the direct heat to establish some sexy grill marks and then move to a slower part of the grill to finish cooking.
8. Baste the tenderloin periodically throughout the cooking process. Finishing over indirect heat will allow it to cook without burning.
9. Cook the tenderloin to an internal temperature of 145. (Despite the warnings from your mother about cooking to 170, the truth is 137 will kill off anything that's bad for you). Allow the meat 5 minutes to rest, then slice into medallions. Fan across some Watermelon Salsa (below) for a great meal.

Watermelon Salsa

2 cups watermelon, seeded and diced fine
1 Granny Smith apple, diced fine
1 red onion, julienned
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 mango, peeled and diced
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced fine
1 bunch cilantro, leaves only
2 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2 limes, juice only
splash of rice wine vinegar

Combine all ingredients and chill well.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:21 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

PT's are great on a spit if you have one. If not just do it indirect. I just hit mine with my basic rub (equal parts salt, pepper, paprika, white and brown sugar), and do an eeny meeny miney moe on deciding wether to use apple, hickory, or maple in the smoke box. Just be careful not to overcook.

Joe

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:58 pm
pizzakngjr medium-rare
medium-rare

Wow that sound awesome, I love Watermelon, and The Midori is an interesting, unexpected addition, I have got to try that one

Rifter well done
well done

This reciep, I haev made a couple of times. They say to use it with porkchops, though, I have only cooked pork tenderloins with it. I really like the reciep. I have found marinading around 6-10 hours is optimium, for my taste buds. http://www.meals.com/Recipes/RecipeDetails.aspx?RecipeID=30538

4 boneless pork chops, (1 1/2-inch thick center cut)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions:
Combine marinade ingredients and pour over chops in heavy plastic bag, seal. Refrigerate 4 to 24 hours. Remove chops from marinade (discarding marinade) and grill chops over medium-hot coals 12 to 15 minutes, turning once.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:37 am
Loene rare
rare

You can cut the loin open a little long way and then stuff it. I have done this and then smoked it. It came out great. I just used onions, black olives and garlic for the stuffing. Then tied the loin back together and then started to smoke it. I used a basic mop sauce with it.
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 table spoon of black pepper
1/2 table spoon of onion powder
1/2 table spoon of garlic powder.
I use this also when BBQ, I just cut out the black pepper, onion & garlic powder out and add 1 1/2 table spoon of what ever rub that I use
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Return to General Discussion