Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Portable Gas Grill? Your Input please!

Portable Gas Grill? Your Input please!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:43 pm

I like my charcoal gril for home use but I would like to get a portable gas grill for camping trips here are my questions:

I heard somewhere that propane doesn't work as well as other fuels at higher altitudes? Has anyone heard this? How do I verify this?

What do you think are the most important qualities I should look for in a portable gas grill?

Okay from the brief excursions I have seen two grills that I kind of like: the "Coleman Roadtrip" runs about $170 here in my city and the "Char-Broil Thermos Grill 2 Go" at around $140. Just by the looks I like how the coleman looks (not as bulky and 3 types of cooking surfaces but if you wanted all griddle you have to buy more accessories etc.) I don't like everything about either of these grills but I don't want to go any smaller than this in a stove and really like to have a griddle available as well as the grill and stove. The Char-Broil Thermos one almost looks like an overpriced griddle by itself. I wouldn't mind spending less money or having more cooking area as long as it stays portable.

Here are two links showing what I am looking at:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... 1186402498

http://www.wildernessessentials.com/9941-765.html

Does anyone know of something I haven't thought of considering or any other models that I should consider?

Thanks

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:15 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The question I want to ask is just how portable do you want. For the type of camping I do I can either take a whole charcoal/gas grill in the truck or need a very small campstove. These are all somewhere in between. Unfortunately I don't know much about these two but just from the appearance they look alot like the new Weber Q line and around here you won't find many people saying bad things about Weber products.

My suggestion is to look into the Weber Q or the Baby Q and hopefully one of our science guys can answer that high altitude question.

Also consider joining our merry band of madcapped grillers and smokers you'll be glad you did.

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:25 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

I have the Grill -2-Go... and really only use it for a griddle anymore. I do bacon, eggs and such when I camp. Because, that's really what it is... A hot Griddle.

I would really try and find something that you can at least expose food to a flame and maybe some wood chips.

My 2 Cents.

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:33 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Most propane equipment operating at altitudes above 4,500 feet above sea level require a high-altitude orifice. I don't know the physics behind this. So if you will be in these altitudes you’ll need to make sure the grill is equipped with them.

Here’s a grill for traveling light: http://pacflat.com/ :shock: Maybe a little too light.

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:56 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Two words "Weber Q"

I've owned one for almost 5 months now, and for a portable it's hard to beat, because it truly is portable. The others are large grills/cooking devices that are still bulky when folded up. It's a great grill gets hot enough to sear a steak, and has enough cooking area to cook a bunch of food on. On top of all that it has going for it, only the Weber comes with Weber's unbeatable warranty, five years on everything except the paint.

The places and the vehicle we use when we go camping require maximum use of the space allowed. When we are loaded for bear with the full off road kit, 6 gallons of water, socket set, and all the other camping stuff, the "Q" has gained a place of honor in the back of the Jeep. When you are 50 miles past BFE the porterhouse done just right. is just reward for driveing all day at 1 MPH. I've only used ours up to 3500 feet past that I can't help any.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:09 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Just to give you an idea of where we take the "Q"

Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:29 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I can tell you that some friends of mine have had the Weber Go Anywhere (gas) for several years at football tailgaiters and it works great. It does not take up much space on the table top and appears to have more BTU's (10,000 vs 8500) of the Baby Q by weber. We mainly cook Brats, burgers and chicken. I don't believe you could use it as a griddle. I have not seen the new Weber Q's which do seem more esthetically pleasing to the eye but I imagine since they are newer they would be more expensive.

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:16 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

The weber Q is a great unit, but here is another choice to compare:
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=209649

snapshot0729 well done
well done

guest wrote:
I heard somewhere that propane doesn't work as well as other fuels at higher altitudes? Has anyone heard this? How do I verify this?
Thanks

Here's your alternative fuel link.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanC ... oryID=7000

Although there are issues associated with altitude, the issue is more in tune with TEMPERATURE at altitude. Propane is essentially useless at 15 degrees F or lower. It's not warm enough to generate the vaporization needed to effectively use your appliance, whatever that propane device is. Grill, heater, light source etc... That's where a different fuel or fuel mix comes into play. Weight may also be a concern where a packin-packout trip is planned. Propane isn't the lightest fuel out there nor is it the cheapest.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe

Joe

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:29 am
MReynolds well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
Here’s a grill for traveling light: http://pacflat.com/ :shock: Maybe a little too light.

That's great Bob! Reminds me of the Sterno folding stove I used to hump everywhere in my rucksack. That little folding stove and some heat tabs went a long way on cold nights/mornings.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:45 am
Rifter well done
well done

This is a post from my sister-in-law. They are looking for grill of some sorts, to pack in their van, to take with them. They are looking for something portable. It was outside my realm of knowlege, so I had her come here, for information from the true masters. :-) Thanks for the help, and I hope this helps with what she is looking for.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:46 am
Big D well done
well done

I have the Thermos Fir and ICe grill.. it is basically the Grill 2 Go with a cooler in the base.. the grill is attached to the cooler and has a foot peddle that when you presss raises the grill to cooking hight.. I would recommend this over the Grill 2 Go if you plan on taking a cooler with you and if not you can remove the grill part (but youd have to place it on a picnic table or something because it doesnt have a seperate stand). If you do take a cooler (which you probably will) this is a good size cooler and since the grill slides down on to the cooler it is probably more companct than the GRill 2 Go and seperate Cooler

Its not really a gril lthough.. its a griddle (great for cooking eggs and bacon and what not in the morning) personally I like a small hiabchi when camping because since I am roughin it I dont want a lot of conviences then again I 'rough' it in a 34 foot RV with a LP Grill attached to the back

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:46 am
Big D well done
well done

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:50 am
Big D well done
well done

Hey my bad.. I just noticed an 'express' Grill to go as well... little smaller and folds down into a luggage type wheely cart thing if ya want
http://www.grill2go.com/express/index.asp

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:29 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

This is what I use at the races
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr ... B00004RALK

It's not very big, but I can do lunch for 4.

Return to General Discussion