Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Opions on the new braunfel american gourmet deluxe smoker

Opions on the new braunfel american gourmet deluxe smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Hello this is my first post although I have enjoyed thid site for some time. I am just curious about a few oppions on some smokers. While at walmart today I found the new bruanfel for $169.00 and a great outdoors smokey mountain series charcoal wood smoker. I really like the idea of the offset box on the newbraunfel as I have been threatening to my wife about cutting down her favorite apple tree in our backyard (man this thing is huge and she won't help pickup apples or even made a pie) I hate that tree with a passion. I mainly cook spare ribs but from time to time like to cook brisket or pork shoulder. I have done well with my modified gas grill and wood pan but it just aint the same. I love slow smoked meats. If you had to choose between the two which one would you choose? I will only be using it for a couple seasons as when I move in a couple years I am going to have a custom pit made at my new home so I don't want to spend a fortune now on something I will only use for two years. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Wayne

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:12 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

First off welcome to the board, now that you've joined the fun really begins....enjoy the insanity.

Although I can't offer any advise on the NB I would like to reccomend the Chargriller Super Pro with Side box option. It about the same price but maybe a bit more and is a great grill/smoker. There has been a boom of these on the board as of late (including myself) It is a very well designed and useful grill/smoker for not alot of $. Check it out.

As to the tree. Take it apart a piece at a time. You don't need the tree all at one shot. Start with a limb here and a limb there. Pruning is good for a tree. This will keep your wood from rotting and oh yeah your wife happy. A happy wife permits a grillers madness.

Good luck!

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:33 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

northwestsmoker welcome to the board!

I have a GOSMS charcoal smoker and also the gas version. They are great smokers and I use them almost every weekend (had both of the fired up for the 4th of July weekend). The CharGriller that G.S. referred to is a great smoker as well as a grill with more cooking surface than most. So if you're looking for a combo unit, it'll fill the bill.

I also have the NB Bandera smoker but you were probably looking at the NB Silver Smoker which is now marketed by Char-Broil and has half the cooking surface of the CharGriller.

If you haven't taken a look at the CharGriller here is a link: http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200239774/

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:58 pm

Well today I went back to wally world and looked at the new braunfel it was not the american gourmet it was called something else but it was a new braunfel. Man the thing is built like a tank it is twice as thick at any other grill I saw today. I looked at the charbroil silver smoker at home depot actually at the box because they did not have one assembled and said they would not assemble one anytime soon (good way to loss a sale). by looking at the box it apeared to small anyways. So now it was between the new braunfel and the chargriller. I love the idea of the fire box on the NB it has a door that opens from the side so it would be easy to stoke with logs verses the CG that has a small slide out box or either fill from top. I can remember a friend who made a camp stove out of a 15 gallon oil drum so the chargriller should be able to handle a hot log fire I would just have to load it from the top. Does anyone here use theirs that way. I also noticed that the NB had alot better seal on the lids than the chargriller. I live in a cold climate that is between 40 and 50 degrees accept for summer (all of 2 weeks when the rain stops) so heat retention is a must. I should just tell you that I have decided on the chargriller with side box because adjustable charcoal tray and awsome cast iron grates :D. But I am disapointed in the lid seal situation (I don't know why they advertise that they have a flanged lid because that is only a 1/4 truth HA! HA! every other side eccept the front has a quarter inch gap. Won't that lose heat does anyone here put a gasket on their or modify their CG in any way. I will have to modify it when I get it. Anyways I went to Lowes home center they have the best outdoor grill section of any store I have found and they stock grills and supplies year round not just seasonal. I was surprised to find hardwood lump coal $5.00 for a twenty pound bag and they stock it year round. They also had about 20 Chargriller super pros in stock. So that is the route I have chosen I am just going on a hunch that they will go on sale in a week or so I am going to give it a week. Any tips on improvement mods would be appreciated.

Thanks
Wayne Mc.

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:12 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I assure you won’t have any heat retention problems with the Chargriller. I’ve used it under the same conditions and maintained perfect temp. I usually line the bottom half of the CharGriller with foil and it helps with sealing and reflecting the temp. Also you can always use the indirect method in the main chamber to smoke during the winter months. This method will produce excellent heat control no matter how cold the external temp is.
See this link for some hints on seasoning and maintaining the CharGriller:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... light=torn
Let me know if you still have any questions or concerns.
Good luck and Congrats in advance.

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:42 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Northwest as a chargriller owner I think you've made a good choice. Make sure you follow Z's link about seasoning too. When it comes to this unit Z's da man! (Have you gotten tired of hearing that yet buddy?) There are a bunch of great posts about this unit here too. I know there is even one dedicated solely to chargriller mods. Although nobody has tried any that I am aware of. As for your feeding the fire issue I would focus solely on top loading, and for longer smokes 8+ hours I'd leave the mini grill rack in and burn there, this will give you increased air and ash space. This is another trick shared by the illustrious Z! I use the slide out solely for cleaning.

Godd luck and Enjoy your (soon to be) new rig!

Return to General Discussion