Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Diesel fuel container?

Diesel fuel container?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 pm
Grilly_McGrills well done
well done

Well, if he does get sick, he wont know for years. Its called long term exposure. To each his own...
Mmmmm, meat...

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

If you heat the drum to glowing red, I don't think there will be any impregnated chemicals left for long term exposure

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:43 pm
NHSmoker rare
rare

I've been there a few times.....Curtis' BBQ on Rt 5 in Putney VT.
http://www.curtisbbqvt.com/

What do I win?..... :D
WSM
Weber 22.5 Stainless Performer

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:44 pm
baker well done
well done

Very good. Though I was hoping for someone a little further away to get it. It is the 9th (or is it the 10th?) Wonder of the World don't you know.

Gotta love Curtis. And CJ too.

I've not died from eating off of his discarded oil tanks. Yet.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:57 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

:lol: Good luck with that :lol:
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:04 pm
baker well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:

:lol: Good luck with that :lol:

I worry more about what the govt tells me is safe than what I know by trial and error.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:21 pm
BiggieQ medium-rare
medium-rare

Well, we've got the old tank and it's in great shape and doesn't even smell like fuel. We're gonna fill it with watter and start cutting it soon and then sand blast it and build a fire in it. I'll do the fire a couple times to be safe.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:25 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Yee Haw. Post pics and updates of your build in the drum smoker sticky. It will give the rest of us inspiration :wink:

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:29 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

BiggieQ, what are the approximate dimensions of the tank? Can you give some more details of what kind of build you're planning on (horizontal w/sfb, etc.)?

I too would like to see some pics as you're going. Keep us posted.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:53 pm
mbshop well done
well done

i see no danger in using the container if prepped as you suggest.
the fat in the food we cook can also be considered bad for us.
these used oil containers have been used almost forever and i have not heard
nor read of any long term problems. yes, i think we should always have safety/health in mind when doing anything.
george
spam, can't live without it.

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:46 am
mrgrumpy well done
well done

I don't know about around there, but around here you see them being used all the time. In fact, just yesterday I saw a tank on a small trailer on it's way to someone's place. I have a hunch it is going to be a bbq unit before it is done.

I have read some place, to get a good fire going in it after you drain it, and cut it up, and it will draw any residue out of the metal. If memory serves me right, you may have to do it several times to be on the safe side.

If it was me, I would cut it open, burn it out a few times, and then have it sand blasted after you make it. Then season it and you should be ready to go. I wouldn't want to be welding on it before I burn it out. And if you sandblast it before you weld it, it will start to rust real fast and easy.

Just my $).02 worth.

Bill

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:04 pm
BiggieQ medium-rare
medium-rare

The tank is just a tad over 5 ft. long and 36in diameter. It'll be a horizontal smoker with a vertical attached to the exaust (if that makes sense). The week is busy but we'll start cutting next weekend.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:17 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

BiggieQ wrote:
The tank is just a tad over 5 ft. long and 36in diameter. It'll be a horizontal smoker with a vertical attached to the exaust (if that makes sense). The week is busy but we'll start cutting next weekend.

That's gonna be a nice rig. Please post pics as you go.

BTW, I still wouldn't eat anything cooked in it, but that's just me :lol:
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:38 am
baker well done
well done

I just found out the raw materials for cast iron all come out of the ground. Ewww.......how gross is that? And I've been eating out of it?

Oh, wait, so do vegetables. And things we feed the cows and pigs. Such a conundrum.

Looks like I'll just have to go back to being a Breatharian. But I can still use the smoker, right?

:D

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:59 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

baker wrote:
I just found out the raw materials for cast iron all come out of the ground. Ewww.......how gross is that? And I've been eating out of it?

Oh, wait, so do vegetables. And things we feed the cows and pigs. Such a conundrum.

Looks like I'll just have to go back to being a Breatharian. But I can still use the smoker, right?

:D

Wow :roll:
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion