Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fast and Cheap CG SFB mod **with PICS**

Fast and Cheap CG SFB mod **with PICS**

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:16 am
jazzspot well done
well done

papabbq wrote:
Still just as confused as before :?

That's one more reason why I made a charcoal basket for the SFB using 3/4" spaced expanded metal.
ImageImage

Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:35 pm
papabbq rare
rare

Yep, I am going to make one too as soon as I find the expanded metal.

Isn't the whole idea to raise the "basket" (fire) from the original position of the grate in the SFB? Many are trying to figure out strapping and brackets. Why couldn't you just set a couple of small bricks on the coal grate and the basket on top of that? Wouldn't that raise the fire to about the right height without all the fuss?
Weber Summit
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Q
Weber Smokey Mountain
Cookshack Smokette
And a NEW CG!

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:52 am
jazzspot well done
well done

papabbq wrote:
Isn't the whole idea to raise the "basket" (fire) from the original position of the grate in the SFB? Many are trying to figure out strapping and brackets. Why couldn't you just set a couple of small bricks on the coal grate and the basket on top of that? Wouldn't that raise the fire to about the right height without all the fuss?

Not really. The reason for the basket is to load more charcoal for longer, consistent, and stable burn times, without the worry of your charcoal starving for oxygen due to the ashes smothering the lit charcoal. Nothing to do with raising the height of the lit charcoal in the SFB since the heat has no where else to go except through the main chamber to the exhaust chimney vent.
Yes, you can use bricks instead of other types of support for the charcoal basket... as long as the bricks allow the ash to fall through the basket so the ash doesn't suffocate the burning charcoal in the basket.
No fuss was done for my charcoal basket support. Simpler than using bricks, which can explode if you don't use the correct type of bricks in that high heat environment.

Two pieces of angle iron simply placed in the SFB for support of the basket. No drilling required and the charcoal drawer can be removed without needing to remove or mess with the charcoal basket:

Charcoal basket seated on the lips of the angle iron in the SFB:

ImageImage

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:12 pm
papabbq rare
rare

Jazz, good point(s). I didn't think about the bricks needing to be fire bricks!
Weber Summit
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Q
Weber Smokey Mountain
Cookshack Smokette
And a NEW CG!

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:55 am
warthog1 medium-rare
medium-rare

Here is how I did my firebox mod using stainless steel hardware and the Lowes basket.

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:27 pm
papabbq rare
rare

Was it ever determined if the Lowe's Basket was chrome or SS?

I see lots of people still using the basket but I thought it was suggested not to use because of it being chrome.
Last edited by papabbq on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weber Summit
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Q
Weber Smokey Mountain
Cookshack Smokette
And a NEW CG!

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:24 pm
olewarthog well done
well done

warthog1 wrote:
Here is how I did my firebox mod using stainless steel hardware and the Lowes basket.

That looks good. I use the shaker basket also. You may want to consider moving the bolts down to raise the basket higher in the SFB.
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Char Broil 3 burner gasser
ECB

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:09 pm

papabbq wrote:
Was it ever determined if the Lowe's Basket was chrome or SS?

I see lots of people still using the basket but I thought it was suggested not to because of it being chrome.

I bought a couple of these in the last two months, and they say "stainless steel" on the packaging.

So, unless there is some false advertising going on, they should be all good.

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
You may want to consider moving the bolts down to raise the basket higher in the SFB.

I have been wondering about this, myself.

Does getting the basket up a bit, closer to the football, increase efficiency?

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:13 pm
papabbq rare
rare

Chicago, I thought they were SS too however as I posted back in May, the item description from Lowes says Chrome. Take a look at the lower left corner...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none[url][/url]
Weber Summit
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Q
Weber Smokey Mountain
Cookshack Smokette
And a NEW CG!

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:23 pm
warthog1 medium-rare
medium-rare

I have had no issues with the hight it is at. It does clear the ash tray. If I were to raise it higher it would increase the problem with the paint. Had good results holding the cooking chamber between 225 and 250. I looked at the cardboard that came on the basket and it states stainless steel.
UDS, Char Griller, Webber 3
"TWO HUNGRY HOGS" BBQ team

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:31 pm
papabbq rare
rare

If it is printed on the box then I am assuming the Lowe's product description was entered wrong on their website. That is good news!
Weber Summit
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Q
Weber Smokey Mountain
Cookshack Smokette
And a NEW CG!

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:41 pm
miss_rach rare
rare

Guys, what are the dimensions of the basket that you all are using? I'm thinking about making one just need the didmensions so I can cut out the metal.

Cheers!

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:49 pm
jstewart well done
well done

miss_rach wrote:
Guys, what are the dimensions of the basket that you all are using? I'm thinking about making one just need the didmensions so I can cut out the metal.

Cheers!

Here's a link to a previous thread about baskets.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... highlight=
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:26 am
miss_rach rare
rare

Done....got the SS basket from lowes and already had the strapping material. Took all of 20 minutes to install. Most time consuming part was grinding off the handles on the basket. Will be testing out next weekend.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion