Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fast and Cheap CG SFB mod **with PICS**

Fast and Cheap CG SFB mod **with PICS**

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:09 am

Thank you. I think I can imagine that. That helps out.
CG Outlaw w/ SFB
Char Griller gas
UDS on the way

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:56 pm
p-nut well done
well done

GRILLINgrandpa8 wrote:
Why not just use the cooking grate that comes with the CG and order a couple of the baskets from the CG company? They fit perfectly in the chamber and setting them on the cooking grate leaves plenty of room for the ashes to fall out. Seems like a lot of work to make stuff that is already available from the company.

That CG baskets are small compared to the Lowes basket.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:41 pm
finsfan rare
rare

I went to Home Depot and asked them for some stainless steel straps and expanded metal. Everything they had was galvanized :( I think i'm going to go to Lowes and pick up a basket to modify and place in the SFB as Bluetick did. Also Bluetick, what temp can you get to using the mod u did?
Member's Mark� 32" Gas Grill w/ Sear Burner
Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5 In. Kettle Grill
Char Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:43 am
Bluetick rare
rare

finsfan wrote:
I went to Home Depot and asked them for some stainless steel straps and expanded metal. Everything they had was galvanized :( I think i'm going to go to Lowes and pick up a basket to modify and place in the SFB as Bluetick did. Also Bluetick, what temp can you get to using the mod u did?

With the Lowes veggie basket resting on one of the cast iron sfb grates, and a smaller chrome basket (from Target or someting?) below in the bottom of the sfb, I was able to maintain around 125-130 degrees without too much fuss for a 30 hour plus/minus smoke during the Thanksgiving weekend (ambient temps in the 30s/40s IRC).

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:48 am
Bluetick rare
rare

I should note that I have otherwise struggled to reach 225 (settling to smoke at 210 degrees or so prior to trying the double baskets).

I haven't smoked anything else before or since trying the double decker setup a couple of months ago, so take my tips with a grain of salt.

If I get sufficiently motivated, I might cook a slab tomorrow.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:10 pm
finsfan rare
rare

Well I bought this from Bed Bath and Beyond. It doesn't say what type of metal is is but it has a "non stick coating". You think this is going to kill anyone?? :)

....Hey for $5 ya cant beat it. hopefully it fits inside the SFB!! :lol: I probably have to cut off the handles. Hmmm.....

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:57 pm
From A Buick 8 medium-rare
medium-rare

i used the basket from lowes and some stainless steel bolts for legs. That way the basket sits on the lip of the SFB. it sits lower in the SFB this way.

I have a CG Duo with SFB (very new to smokin).

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:33 pm
p-nut well done
well done

finsfan wrote:
Well I bought this from Bed Bath and Beyond. It doesn't say what type of metal is is but it has a "non stick coating". You think this is going to kill anyone?? :)

....Hey for $5 ya cant beat it. hopefully it fits inside the SFB!! :lol: I probably have to cut off the handles. Hmmm.....

That looks painted.
I'd make sure to do a good hot fire through it and burn all that paint off before using it with food.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:29 am
finsfan rare
rare

Ok here's the 411:

I started a chimney full of lump charcoal and once lit i dumped it in the basket in the SFB. I left the SFB vent fully opened and after 10 minutes i read this temp at grate level on the smokestack side.

So i went back in the house for about 10-15 minutes then came back out and checked the temp. It read this...

Then I closed the SFB vent to a quarter open like this...

Which then lowered the temp to 235F-245F and lasted for about an hour or hour and a half. After the fire died out I removed the basket and threw out the leftover ash and charcoal.

The basket didnt seem to lose any paint. I even cleaned it and nothing. I'll check it tomorrow for any signs of wear and tear. I would imagine that if they made a basket with and a non stick coating for the grill that it would be safe in these situations.... no???

Anyway tomorrow I try with briquettes to see what temps i can get. Also going to try going to lowes to pick up and basket from there...... and hopefully a wireless thermometer. Peace!!

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:29 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I hope not Teflon coated, that would be BAD!

http://www.naturalpath.com/healthy_eati ... kware_safe

The non-stick coating popular on frying pans may, in fact, be an unsavory way to cook.

Though you may love your cookware for its reduced need for added fat, consider this: emerging studies are proving that Teflon-coated metal cooking implements, especially when used at high temperatures, may be leaking toxins into dinner.

The problem is that when the surface gets scratched, tiny amounts of inert plastic and leached aluminum cling to cooked food, with far more toxic results than an extra spoonful of cooking oil. Perhaps more worrisome, though, are the fumes and chemicals released, including highly toxic perfluorochemicals (PFCs/PFOAs) which result when nonstick coatings are heated to high temperatures. Studies by DuPont, the makers of Teflon, show that Teflon offgases particulate at 446°F. At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens. DuPont acknowledges that the fumes can sicken people, a condition called "polymer fume fever".

Far from your kitchen, the chemicals used to manufacture Teflon are also very persistent in the environment. Toxic chemicals released when cooking with Teflon-coated cookware can find their way into the air, water, soil, and our bodies. A 2005 study by the Environmental Working Group, in collaboration with Commonweal, found chemicals including perflourooctanoic acid (or PFOA), a known carcinogen, in the umbilical cord blood of US-born infants. Similarly, researchers at John Hopkins Medical Center released findings in 2006 that PFOA was present in umbilical cord blood of 99% of 300 newborns tested. Also, households with birds should note that Teflon fumes pose a particular hazard to their delicate systems.

In 2006, the Environmental Protection Agency asked eight chemical makers, including DuPont, to voluntarily halt their use of PFOA. DuPont Co. said it will honor the request, reducing its use by 95% no later than 2010, and completely by 2015.

Teflon and other products containing PFCs are quite common. The Environmental Working Group's website has a fairly comprehensive list of the products to avoid or to use with caution.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:20 pm
finsfan rare
rare

well i dont know about you but i dont like gettng sick with toxic fumes so bye bye basket. At least we didnt eat anything while i tested that last night. Thx for looking out!

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:39 pm
finsfan rare
rare

Well i was able to find a Lowe's near me with the veggie shaker baskets. Bye bye coma inducing basket of death!!! :evil: Thanks for your help again guys. I'll post some pics as soon as I get things cooking again. PEACE!!

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:03 pm
smoke-stack medium
medium

ok guys, the topic has been covered a few times here, but i have to ask again. as far as the strapping goes, both lowes and home depot only carry galvinized steel or copper. is this ok to use??? i have no idea how to find stainless steel, and the guys said it would cost a pretty penny.

the expanded metal sheet (24" x 24") does not say if its galvinized or not...

and i did find stainless steel nuts and bolts, but it cost $30!

thanks in advance fellas

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:55 am

I went to a local machine shop and they made stainless steel straps to my specifications for the whopping grand total of $10.11 and Home Depot told me they could order me some stainless steel straps for about $50. Isn't that a great deal, order me a couple of straps for five times what a machine shop would cut them for me to my specs.

Here is a link where I documented the whole process I went through. You can even see a pic of the stainless steel straps.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=13954
Jenn-Air gas
Weber One Touch Gold
Char-Griller SP w/ SFB
Char-Broil gas
Aussie style charcoal
BBQ Grillware SS portable

Post Sun May 31, 2009 11:27 pm
papabbq rare
rare

Okay I'm confused about the Lowes Basket. I was browsing on the Lowe's website and found what I think everyone is talking about. However, it clearly says chrome and not SS. Am I missing something here? Is chrome fine to use?

Here is the link to view what I am talking about....
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=188821-451-4984108&lpage=none

Thanks for your help!
John

UPDATE: After going back to Lowe's website I noticed the description has actually two descriptions! Both have different dimensions, and both are incorrect. One description says steel and the other says chrome.

Still just as confused as before :?
Weber Summit
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Q
Weber Smokey Mountain
Cookshack Smokette
And a NEW CG!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion