Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rib membrane

Rib membrane

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:21 pm
GBitto rare
rare

Agree with Snapshot. I start near the middle, use whatever I have available to separate the membrane from a bone. Stick my finger in the small "pocket" and keep working it 'til I reach the far end. Then, work your finger (or whatever else you want to use) in a left-to-right motion (for right of center) similar to opening an envelope (by slipping your finger UNDER the flap). Just one more way of doing it!

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:13 am
JDasmokin rare
rare

Hi every one
This is a topic that seems to come up quite a bit
I do think it is important to remove the membrane. On some of our larger cooks it is a near imposibility, any where from 200 to 400 slabs for fund raisers usually.
When cooking for a smaller crowd I have foud that fish skinng pliers work really well.
Most of you know of these, they ar similar to regular pliers but hey don't have the nurls at the end they are flat and about an inch wide.
They are easier to keep cleand out and the wide area at the end lets you grab the membrane almost any where.
I have tried many different ways and this seems to work for me.
Give it a try.

I didn't resize the pic hope it is not to large

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:03 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

At the risk of oversimplifying things - I'll add my 2 cents. Why not just have the butcher do it? It's what I usually do. And if he/she won't I start buying my meat elsewhere. When all else fails, all the methods mentioned on the board work for me. Getting to know the guys and girls back there is a very very handy thing for a BBQ'er to do. And they love to talk meat as much as I do.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Previous

Return to General Discussion