Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Charcoal grilling -- Tube versus Dome

Charcoal grilling -- Tube versus Dome

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:42 am
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey guys, here's a question...

In comparing charcoal grills, which do you think is more efficient with even heat distribution. A tube type grill like a Chargriller, or a dome type grill like a Weber One-Touch? I wonder if there is a difference in even heat or hot / cold spots? I wonder if there is a big difference is how the heat circulates through the grill?

Ofcourse, this question is posted with the idea that the lid is closed. :wink:

Trevor

p.s. I bet everyone will say, "Aaah, they all do the same thing" :lol:

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:29 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

And yes they both do the same thing. Kinda like the difference between a Porsche and a Jeep, both get you there the difference is in how they accomplish it.

Z can fill in the pluses for the Chargriller. Other than pictures I've never seen one. It looks like it would have offset principles, as far as smoke and heat travel. Smoke and heat would travel from end to end. I would imagine that it has very good radiant heating properties,with the rounded lid. Without seeing one I'm hesitant to compare it to my NB Santa Fe, which IMHO is a sucky charcoal grill, but a decent smoker. The Santa Fe has a very large grill area, because of this, it takes a boatload of charcoal to use it as a grill. It's all or nothing with it. If you build a smaller fire for cooking for a couple of people you can't get it hot enough to cook on. The same negatives become a positive if you want to smoke on it, smaller fire less temp, and it's very easy to maitain temp for smoking.

The Weber is quite efficent, sometimes I think it's too efficent. Because it's very radient in it's heating qualities, it grills very fast. It works very well for indirect cooking. The difference between the Santa Fe and a 22 1/2" kettle is a night and day difference. The kettle is outstanding for anything I've tried in it. Steaks, burger and dogs, brats, cabbage, chickens, I've never taken food that I was dis-satisfied with off of my kettle. If I had to get rid of all of my grills and smokers and could only keep one it would be my Weber 22 1/2" BarBKettle.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:57 am
PaulP well done
well done

IMO, either can be efficient and provide even heat across the cooking area. It's not a question of type, but of the design of a particular unit. For me, even heat distribution without hot/cold spots is one of the most important criteria to consider when buying a grill. That's why I love my Weber Genesis. This is especially true of gas grills. For charcoal, it's more difficult, because of the influence of the fire. Size and distribution of coals could make a BIG difference.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:43 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I think the question here is the type of use?
Do you need a unit for everyday grilling and for small to medium amounts of food, or do you want to grill and smoke medium to large amounts of food? Both units will produce excellent results. However, if you want a smoker option, the CharGriller will allow you to do so without having to buy and maintain a second unit. You can also smoke with the Weber, but it’s hard to maintain a low temp. The CharGriller can be used as a grill when the coals are placed in the main chamber and if you buy the side firebox, you can use it as a smoker. The thicker metal in the CharGriller will hold a consistent temp for a long time (no matter which chamber you’re using). The Weber also keeps a consistent temp due to its design and shape. The dome shape and the placement of the coal will give you a great oven effect. So you really have to decide based on you needs, because both units will serve you well.

Return to General Discussion