Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BRICK-IN OUTDOOR GRILL

BRICK-IN OUTDOOR GRILL

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:58 pm
cnguyen90@netscape.net

Hello,

In theory, if one has money one can buy this Weber ready built-in:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/feat ... 210501&t=g

But the grill itself is 412000 plus the built-in counter etc. cost going up to $4000-5000.00.

I just want to share with ALL OF you my project. The idea is building around a less expensive grill (I cannot not afford a "slide-in BBQ" with costs in the range of $2500.00 + upwards).

EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE PICTURES. I ENJOY THIS DOUBLE-GRILL SO MUCH (ONE CHARCOAL AND ONE GAS GRILL).

The sequence of construction is:
1. Rough-in natural gas line and electric wire
2. Pour concrete base (in my case large enough for 2 grills)
3. Set the grills on brick so they do not roll.
(To the left is an old Weber B for LP that I converted into charcoal by "gutting" the gas tubes out and added a bottom grate for the coals. To the right is a brand new Weber Gold C for natural gas)
4. Brick it in (in my case we use stone with bricks only for the opening). Make sure there is an opening for the ash tray.
Make sure there are a few "weepholes" at the bottom to allow any water that get inside to get out. This is standard brick construction technique for homes.
Then clean the excess mortar that fell inside (easier to clean when still wet).

5. Wait one day for mortar to dry then install granite counter top and that is it! I find granite better than marble (stains easily) or ceramic (cumbersome installation and not that great for outdoor).
Here is the tip: use darker color (rather than light color) granite so any stain is hardly visible.

This Brick-in BBQ needs to be covered by a tarp when not in used to prevent water from getting in and collected inside and can damage the mortar over time.

I get the "best bang for the buck" here because:

* Concrete pad was already there during home construction.
* Old Red Grill (converted from LP into charcoal): free, given to me by a friend....This was a Genesis B that I hack-sawed the side bars to make it smaller, gutted all gas tubes and turned it into a Charcoal Grill).

* Granite: $25.00/SF (parts only, no labor; prices are for "left-over" <i.e. waste from another job but still big enough for my job>, pieces that you find at any granite shop). I gave the granite shop the dimensions and they cut for these pieces for me. I installed the granite myself to save money. I used 1-1/4" thick granite.

I ran the gas line myself and installed the granite.

Please let me know what you think.

cn
Hinsdale, IL

PS: I emailed this to Steve Raichlen and he loved it...No need for wood framing like yours. In theory, you could have done bricks around the grill, with a small door to open into. Top it up with granite for ease of maintenance.
I do not remcommend plywood and tiles because the weather will cause cracks, especially in the North. Even with your design, you can install a "junk" piece of granite (with the center hole cut for the grill). What I meant junk is granite from left-over pieces that you can find at any granite shop for $25.00/SF (instead of the usual charge of $70.00/SF).

Also my entire project has no wood framing, out of safety concern (fire hazard)....

Return to General Discussion