Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion infra-red meat thermometers

infra-red meat thermometers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:46 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

I was talking to a buddy last night about some Q and he was telling me about infra-red meat thermometers that read internal temp of meat without poking them. I have never heard of such a thing. Has anyone heard or used this device. If so, how accurate are they, where do you get them and how much do they cost?
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

smokyblues I've seen these thermometers used around electrical and H.V.A.C. equipment and it is my understanding that they record the surface temperature of the item they are reading. Meats need to be measured by their internal temperature. I don't think this would be an effective tool to accurately measure internal temps of meats.

Unless your bud has a different device than what I'm thinking.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:55 pm
snapshot0729 well done
well done

I'll reiterate what the mod has stated. I use an ir thermo all of the time. They are a surface temperature measuring device. Instead of me having to get out a big step ladder to stick a conventional thermometer in a discharge vent that;s way up in the air to see how cool or hot the air coming out is I just have to point the irt at the vent and see what it's temp is. Much easier than the "old days". To answer your question though, you've gotta stick it or finger poke it to tell if it's done.

Joe

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:13 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

After doing some research on my own i found out the same thing: that they only read external temp which is not what I heard. I did find a nice Q item I will ask for from the wife.

Maverick RediChek
Remote Smoker Thermometer
Model ET-73 $59.99
Monitors both smoking chamber and meat temperatures,
2-1/2" x 4",
Wireless remote transmitter and remote receiver,
Receiver beeps and flashes when desired meat temperature is reached,
Beeps and flashes if smoking chamber temperature falls below programmed range,
Count-up and count-down timer,
LCD receiver has back light for night use,
Receiver has belt clip and built-in stand,
Heat resistant food probe wire can be inserted 6" into meat,
Separate probe for smoking chamber with grill rack clip,
Transmitter has removable wire stand/hanger,
Uses 4 AAA batteries, included,
Can be used with oven or grill as well,
90 day limited warranty
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver

Keep it Smokey

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

That is a good thermometer. I like remote probes the best for smoking because you don't have to open the smoker to check temps. You do have to make sure that the probe lead is not exposed to direct or high heat, as extreme temperatures will damage it.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:02 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Hey blues

I just noticed the post where you said you were moving back to Oklahoma. Welcome home & congrats to the wife for finding a job. Have you found one yet & where did you move to? I haven't been to academy yet. They don't have any Weber stuff on the website. Westlake Ace hardware has Weber stuff. I didn't see the One Touch Platinum, which I'm dying to get. I would like to find one of these Mavericks around OKC. Welcome back to Oklahoma & good luck on a job if you haven't found one yet.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:21 pm
Daemien rare
rare

Here's another remote thermometer that may save you $10.. it's listed for $49.99

"Dual-probe Remote Smoker Thermometer monitors the temperature of the inside of your smoker and the temperature of the food being smoked. And there's no need to rush outdoors every few minutes for a check; just read the digital receiver screen from inside your house. Remote Thermometer lets you know when your smoker drops below the desired cooking temperature. Both stainless steel probes transmit a signal to the base unit from up to 100 feet away.

Uses four AAA batteries, included."

http://www.grilllovers.com/shopItemDeta ... DBF8NR0GEF

D.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:28 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

We are actually going to be moving bak on Sat. and we are doing it Okie style with a 24' gooseneck livestock trailer. It sure beats paying $500+ for the u-haul. We are moving in with a friend at first until we can find a place. Its around 36th and Western. If its a Weber you are looking for I think Home Depot would carry that model. academy has good prices on their OK Joes smokers. After I get settled in we might have to meet up for a beer & some BBQ. I can't wait for the Sooner games to start on Sept. 4th. I'll be tailgaing every home game and cooking up some good Q.
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver

Keep it Smokey

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:29 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Actually looks to be the very same item, only cheaper. (and without thier name) Way to go Daemien.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:00 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

If you use a livestock trailer to move the furniture, where will the livestock ride? :lol: Home depot didn't have that model either. I'll keep looking, though I might just have to order it online. I am more than ready to get Sooner FB going. Heck, i'm just ready for college football period. I wonder what gripe there will be this year about the BCS. I am one for a playoff. Let's settle it on the field. That means more chances for a tailgate party. :idea: I just heard of a new BBQ joint called Bedlam BBQ. It's just East of Lincoln on NE 50th. I'm guessing around the OKC zoo, softball stadium area. Gonna have to check it out. They was talking about it on the sports animal this morning. Have a safe trip Saturday..

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:21 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I just bought a Maverick by Redi Check. In all respects it's a Polder on steroids. As a matter of fact my Polder probe works on it. The transmitter has a socket that you plug the probe into and you place the probe into your meat ala Polder style, or you place it in the smoking chamber for a temp check. Unless there is a model that is different you can only check one temp at a time. The neat thing is that it allows you to monitor the temp without hovering over the grill. In that respect it does as advertised. In checking it against my other thermometers, it does read 3 degrees higher at 74 degrees. My Polder, cheapie dial, and the one in the Atomic clock all read 74 (which is where the thermosat is set) and the Redi Check read 77 after a 45 minute settling period. I bought it to monitor the temp. in the smoker and to let me know what was happening there. It will work for that, but it will take a while of working with it to trust it for checking food temps.

I got mine at Bed,Bath, and Beyond for $39.99. There are a few different brands out there. Williams-Sonoma had one for $59.99 and another cooking store had one (different brand) for $69.99.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:44 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I just double checked and mine is a Redi Check Maverick ET-72 which is a single probe model.

The ET-73 is the one shown in the link to grilllovers.

Here's a link to Maverick: www.maverickhousewares.com
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:14 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

Hi gang,

I've got the new remote thermo from Weber. Pretty neat and cool. Works pretty good, BUT there's one thing you've got to remember. NOTHING I mean NOTHING will be better than your experience in the grilling realm. You've got to check whatever you're cooking every once in awhile with your eyeballs, and fingers. Case in point. I used this thermo on a couple of BCC's. I stuck the probe in the thigh. The temp on the readout was coming up nice and slow. After about 1 3/4 hours at 325 or so I thought that they should have been done. The probe was reporting about 150 degrees F. The birds LOOKED done (experience here). I took the probe out of the thigh, and stuck it in the breast. The probe now reported 175 degrees F!!!!!! That's past the fully cooked point of white poultry. I then took the probe and stuck it back in the same thigh where it was. Now it read 180 degrees F. Fully cooked dark poultry meat. Apparently the probes initial placement wasn't optimal for a correct reading. My point is..... these gadgets are neat and impressive, but don't let the numbers that it's spitting you over ride your common sense and experience. Get up off the keister, and go do a lookie see push and poke. Your drink's empty anyway. A simple walk and a lid lift, very well may save face, and keep your title as grill meister of the neighborhood.

later

Joe

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:27 am
Q-Bert raw
raw

I've had a lot of trouble with Polder and Taylor probe thermometers recently; they've been pretty clearly inaccurate and there's no way to calibrate them. I'm thinking about getting a thermopen instead, which does a 4 second read and is a thermocouple rather than a thermistor for the reading and is supposed to be more reliable. It's been frustrating as all get-out to go through my fourth Polder remote probe... almost as frustrating as thinking that the butt was all the way up to 195 but that huh, it wouldn't pull at all - actual temp more like 175. You can be sure I uttered a few choice words before explaining to my guests that instead of pulled pork dinner would now be pork roast...

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:20 pm
PaulP well done
well done

FWIW, I believe that the most common causes of failure in remote thermometers are damage to the wire by pinching or exposure to excess heat and allowing water to get inside the probe while cleaning. I wrap the wire in aluminum foil to protect it, and am always careful to route the wire through a notch in the grill side to prevent pinching. Clean the probe by wiping it with hot, soapy water. DO NOT immerse it. I've had my Polder for three years and still using the original probe.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Next

Return to General Discussion