Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Greasy beef ribs

Greasy beef ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:08 pm
skizriz medium-rare
medium-rare

Ran across a good deal on some beef ribs last week, so I picked up a few packs for the freezer. Had a few hours to kill, so I thought I'd cook some up quick over higher heat.
Threw a rack on the grill at about 300 degrees. Cooked them 2 hours, then foiled them with mop sauce for about 1 hour. Unwrapped them (tons of juice) and back on the grill, getting basted with sauce for 1 hour.

Texture turned out great. Firm, yet you could easily pull a bone out. Just how I like them.

But the meat seemed greasy.. :( Otherwise they tasted great. :D

Is this normal for beef ribs ??
Because I cooked them hot and fast ???
Cheap cuts of meat ???

Steve
CG SuperPro / SFB

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:55 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Steve,

I would venture to say that since you cooked them so quickly, and wrapped them, there wasn't much time to render the fat out, and then wrapping them help "squeeze" the fat into the meat. Just my thoughts.

Bill

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:20 am
phyx well done
well done

mrgrumpy wrote:
Steve,

I would venture to say that since you cooked them so quickly, and wrapped them, there wasn't much time to render the fat out, and then wrapping them help "squeeze" the fat into the meat. Just my thoughts.

Bill

Totally agree with you here. If he slow smoked them, he could easily go for 6-8 hours or more for beef ribs. They'd come out tender and juicy, but shouldn't be greasy.

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:04 am
Caesar medium
medium

For unbeatable beef ribs, I start with the basic instrux given in Cooks Illustrated Texas beef ribs issue. 300 degree coal fire for 2-1/2-3 hours. Add a big chunk of apple/hickory every half hour or so. If you decide to go beyond 2-1/2 hours, let the temp come down to 225-250.

If you do not foil, you will render out the fat and since it is such fatty meat, you will get a bit of bark on the outside and fall-apart tender on the inside.

I use Steven's basic BBQ rub and only mop in the last 1/2 hour. Texas ribs should not be sopping wet. Serve the sauce on the side. But, I find almost no one uses it. The meat is so flavorful and tender.

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:58 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

There is a fair amount of fat on beef ribs, but if you rub them, and smoke them slowly for a few hours, the fat will render, as others have stated.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:10 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Good advice. :D

We trim off excess fat and slow smoke. These were by far the best beef ribs we've ever had:

ImageImageImage

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:56 am
phyx well done
well done

Those look AMAZING! What temp and how long did you cook them?

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Well, we started the pit early in the morning and these finished around 2:30 or 3:00 that afternoon, so I'd guess around 5 or 6 hours. The pit temps were around 225-250°.

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:50 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

You should have boiled them first............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :wink: J/K!

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:39 pm
skizriz medium-rare
medium-rare

T-Rex wrote:
You should have boiled them first............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :wink: J/K!

That will be enough of that foul language !!!!!!! :lol:

Thanks guys, the beef ribs were kind of new to me. Next time no foil, and make sure I an not in a rush. I also didn't trim them, just pulled the membrane.

Steve
CG SuperPro / SFB

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:04 pm
daaldridge rare
rare

Has anyone here tried smoking short ribs yet (the thick kind not the thin cross-cut kind). I'm thinking of smoking them at 225-250 for a few hours (until good bark develops) then wrapping with foil and finishing in slow oven (it saves propane on my GOSM). Anybody ever tried this or similar with short ribs?

Return to General Discussion