Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ground Turkey

Ground Turkey

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:38 am
mudx2 medium-rare
medium-rare

Hello all!! My wife and I get on kicks where we eat ground turkey. I just wondered if and what anyone here has done with it. I've used it in tacos, chile, stuffed green peppers, and pasta, but that's about it. The 2 books I have of Stevens doesn't really have anything in it specifically for ground turkey, but I guess just about anything calling for ground beef could be subbed.

The only thing I don't like about ground turkey is flavor you give up by using it and not ground beef.

Thanks.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:23 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Although I can't speak from experience I couldn't see why you couldn't use it everywhere ground beef is used. Just realize that there is a lot less fat in it, and as a result you may have to find other ways to add fat. EVO would be a good healthy way that comes to mind.
Good luck, you've come to the right place.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:09 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

I like to grill turkey burgers, myself--I can't list the recipe (it's from Cook's Ilustrated), but I can tell you that it uses ricotta as a binding element, and to add some fat back in. The trick I've found is be generous with the seasonings, and use bold ones, like fresh thyme, porcini dust, djon, etc.

Let me know what you come up with, I am a fan of ground turkey as well!

Info

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:16 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

We also use ground turkey to try to be a bit healthier. However, I find that mixing the turkey at about half and half with lean ground pork or ground sirloin gives a much better taste, and maybe a bit healthier than pure beef. Lots of bold spices, like garlic help also. Face it, fat tastes good.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:39 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

If I could find it consistently, I would use ground turkey in replacement of groung beef for everything. It's not readily available in my area. My Lady and I love it. I use it in tacos, chili, burgers,etc. It does require more spices and it can be quite dry without added fat.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:46 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Just a word of caution when buying ground Turkey. Sometimes it contains more fat than ground beef. Please read the label prior to picking it up. If your main concern it cutting on fat, then you want buy lean meat. I was at the grocery store few days ago and they had ground turkey next to the ground beef. People were picking up the ground turkey that was labeled 80/20 at a rapid pace and leaving the ground beef that was 1/2 the price and labeled 90/10. Just because it’s turkey, does not mean it’s lean. They grind the skin and everything else that comes with it to increase its volume. Aside from that, I really like ground turkey. I find adding ground vegetables and liquid flavoring helps the moisture and the flavor issue. And I don’t miss the fat much. My wife and I keep strict low fat diet during the week and splurge on the weekend. This way I can justify eating all the meats I want. :wink:

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:15 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

I also like ground turkey. I often mix it with ground venison for stuffed peppers or meatloafs etc. Both are lean so I add a bit of EVO. Turkey and venison both require a bit of extra seasoning, but the combo works well together.

Return to General Discussion