Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pulled pork second time around

Pulled pork second time around

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:01 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

A pork butt is top half of the pork shoulder with a part of the shoulder blade left in. The bottom half of the shoulder is the picnic. Country style pork ribs are cut from the butt, they are actually strips of butt meat with the bone left in. I start misting with apple juice, when the internal temp reachs 140 to 150, and them mist every half hour or forty five minutes until done at an internal temp of 205 for pulled pork.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:29 am
pizzakngjr medium-rare
medium-rare

I know as far as Bobby Flay goes he's not really popular here, but on food net work last night he was showing BBQ Nacho's using pulled pork for the meat. It was created by "Hog Wild" Competition team an MAN did they look good!!!!

Here's the link if anyone want's to check it out
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_27732,00.html

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:55 am
Roundtuit rare
rare

Grand Scale wrote:
Rob if I been in your place I'd done the same thing. Give him a pat on the back from all of us and a sincere thank you.

Round-
I would suggest using the heatsource thats farthest away from your heat escape/vent Place you smoke box/pouch there too. This way the heat and smoke are drawn across the meat on their way out of the grill. In most gas grills the natural escape route is out the back of the grill so your idea to use the front burner is right on. The advantage of going low and slow is that it is the only way that the tough muscle fibers in these cuts truely break down and become their most tender. It will be done and edible at shorter higher temps but it won't be the same as what you hear the gang here talking about.

Good luck guys.

Thanks,Grand Scale. Now I have to go try it! Amazing what one can learn from this group!

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:26 pm

Doobus wrote:

And yes, you can put it in a burrito - maybe I can convince my friend to post his "Insanely Great Smoked Carnitas" recipe here.....

I’ve made Steven’s North Carolina pulled pork recipe many times, and every time I do, I think to myself, “it would be great to make Carnitas this way.” Recently when leafing through some recipes I’d downloaded from epicurious.com, I ran across this one:
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/vi ... inter=true a guacamole recipe. Inspiration struck. I altered that recipe, smoking the tomatillos on the grill, rather than charring them in a broiler and added lime juice. The result was the best guacamole I have ever tasted and everyone I’ve served it to agrees. At this point, my desire to make some grilled Carnitas became a mission, as that guacamole would be a perfect complement. I searched in vain for a recipe, the only “Smoked Carnitas” recipes I could find recommended smoking the meat for just a short time and then continuing in a more traditional way, simmering for hours in oil and spices. That just wouldn’t do, I had no interest in boiling any meat. I was determined to find a way to get an authentic Mexican Carnitas taste using the same methods as American pulled pork. Here’s what I came up with, I’m rather proud of it:

Insanely Great Smoked Carnitas:

1 Boston Butt, bone-in, about 5-6 lbs.

2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
8 cloves garlic

mesquite wood chips soaked and drained

For The Rub:

3 Tablespoons Chili powder
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Coriander
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
1 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper

For The Mop / Sauce

1 12 oz bottle of dark Mexican beer like Negra Modelo
3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons of the Rub

1. Place roast in a foil pan with the orange juice and garlic cloves to soak overnight, turning once or twice so the roast marinates evenly.
2. Discard OJ and garlic and rinse the roast off and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Make the rub by mixing together all the ingredients in a bowl, set aside 2 tablespoons for the mop sauce. Pat the rub all over the roast and let sit to cure for a few hours
4. Make the mop sauce – mix all ingredients together and set aside about 3/4 – 1 cup for later when the meat is done
5. Set up grill for indirect grilling, medium hot, use mesquite chips for smoke
6. Smoke the roast for about 4-5 hours or as long as it takes to get to 195°, add coals every hour and a handful or two of wood chips. Liberally mop the roast with the mop sauce about every 45 minutes to an hour
7. Cook until it’s well done 195° in the center
8. When it’s done, let sit for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, then tear it apart into shreds.
9. Ladle the remaining mop sauce over the shredded pork.

Serve with flour and/or corn tortillas, smoky guacamole (see above, quadrupled the recipe), Charros (BBQ USA recipe) and Spanish rice (Mom’s recipe, that one’s a secret).

As like pulled pork, this makes a ton of food, so I served this all up to friends and strangers at my local pub. It was all gone in about 15 minutes and I drank for free for the rest of the night!

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:00 pm

I just made this again yesterday and realized that I omitted something that might be important. Before marinating the shoulder, I poked a number of holes in it with a skewer.

The reason I did this was because traditional carnitas are really really moist and I thought that it might make a difference in really infusing both flavor and moisture into the meat, from both the marinade and the mop sauce. i know that its generally a no-no to poke holes in your meat when its cooking and wasn't sure if it would make any difference or not. Both times I've made this the meat has been succulently moist, so I know it didn't hurt but I'm not sure if it actually made any difference at all, as I haven't tried it without doing that to compare. I'd be curious to know what anyone else thinks about that.

Also the cumin and coriander in the rub are both ground, I wasn't specific.

Previous

Return to General Discussion