Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pulled pork second time around

Pulled pork second time around

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:23 am
Rob96 rare
rare

Well yesterday I tried making pulled pork for the second time. It was approx. 9 pounds. Used my gas grill with one burne lit and left on low. I maintained a steady *250 the whole time. For the first six hours I used hickory wood chips, replenishing them once an hour. After six hours I sprayed it once an hour with an apple juice, white vinegar, worcestshire mix. Pulled the pork when the internal temp hit *195. It was delicious. My brothr was up from Virginia and loved it.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:39 am
irishfolker medium
medium

Sounds pretty nice. What was your total cooking time?

irishfolker
Thig Crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceol

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:31 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

irishfolker we'll each have a little different cooking times. It depends on several variables; mass, cooking temp, outside temps, air tightness of cooker, cookers material make up, wind, etc... I cooked 2 butts and 2 shoulders this weekend at 225* and it took them 12 hours to reach 195*. I'll bet Rob96 finished his in a shorter time.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:52 am
irishfolker medium
medium

Thanks, Bob. I was looking for a ballpark figure for planning purposes. I haven't done a shoulder or butt yet, but I expect to sometime this year. Sounds like a pretty good commitment time-wise. Just gets my juices flowing thinking about it.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:58 am
Airfoils well done
well done

:twisted: You've "arrived" when you find yourself in a lawn chair with your favorite beverage at 4:00 AM tending your Q.

Sounds like youre doing well. :)

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:02 pm
Rob96 rare
rare

It took 12 hours to reach temp. I put it on at 3:30 am.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:06 pm
irishfolker medium
medium

Now that's dedication. Thanks, Rob.

irishfolker

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:12 pm
Rob96 rare
rare

"Now that's dedication."

Not dedication. My brother came up for a couple of days after being in Iraq. Just wanted to give him a good home cooked meal.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:47 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

I am new to smoking and I keep reading a lot about pulled pork. I want to try making some but I'm not sure where to start. First, what do I look for when going to Costco (or supermarket) to buy the pork? I read people talking about Pork Shoulder or Butt? Aren't these at the opposite ends of a pig? :?:

Also, I'm assuming you do the dry rub and let sit over night in the fridge. But during the smoking period, do I spray the meat w/ something like apple juice? This weekend, I made some ribs and I tried using a spritz to spray apple cider on the ribs. Came out good but I was confused as to how much I need to spray. Do I spray until I get a little moisture on the meat or do I drench the meat? Esp. for the pulled pork?

Lastly, how do you eat pulled pork? In a sandwich? I was thinking about putting it in a burrito. Any ideas would help greatly since I have never smoked/grilled any pork other than baby back ribs. Thanks for the help!!!

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:21 pm
Doobus medium
medium

Rob, that's awesome. Way to show your brother a great welcome-home.
"Your focus determines your reality."

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:36 pm
Doobus medium
medium

goldenbear wrote:
I read people talking about Pork Shoulder or Butt? Aren't these at the opposite ends of a pig? :?:

What some people call the "Butt Roast" or "Boston Butt" is actually the same cut as what's called a "Bone-in Pork Shoulder" here in So Cal.

Look up Raichlen's recipes in BBQ USA & How To Grill for the techniques - it's a little involved.

And yes, you can put it in a burrito - maybe I can convince my friend to post his "Insanely Great Smoked Carnitas" recipe here.....
"Your focus determines your reality."

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:34 pm

What Rob described intrigues me. I have done a Boston Butt for pulled pork on a gas Weber Silver B cooking indirectly using front and back burners. The cooking temp was about 350. Although it turned out pretty good, I would like to cook it lower and slower but was concerned that using just the front burner would not provide the heat circulation. Is my logic twisted? Would it work better using ONE burner and cooking it at a lower temperature for a longer time? If so, how would it improve? Any feedback any of you experts can give a rookie would be appreciated.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:37 pm
Roundtuit rare
rare

What Rob described intrigues me. I have done a Boston Butt for pulled pork on a gas Weber Silver B cooking indirectly using front and back burners. The cooking temp was about 350. Although it turned out pretty good, I would like to cook it lower and slower but was concerned that using just the front burner would not provide the heat circulation. Is my logic twisted? Would it work better using ONE burner and cooking it at a lower temperature for a longer time? If so, how would it improve? Any feedback any of you experts can give a rookie would be appreciated.

Darn it.....that GUEST'S question was my FIRST post....gonna get a little credit here! :)

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:27 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Rob if I been in your place I'd done the same thing. Give him a pat on the back from all of us and a sincere thank you.

Goldenbear - You're right on track with every idea you mentioned. I kan tell you've been following the posts on the topic. I've found the hardest part is the wait. Look for Shoulder, sometimes refered to as picnic cut. Butt or Boston Butt works great too. Rub yes. Spray/mop yes, anything from cider to juice to more elaborate mops will do. Time frame about 1 an hourwait until hour 2 or 3 though so your rub can set/crust. Quantity enough to moisten it but no wash off your rub crust. Eat plain or with a vinegar, mustard, or red sauce. With coleslaw or without. I like mine sometimes just in a bowl without bread and a little mustard sauce. And I'm not even an Atkins guy. So yes go for you burrito or any other way you choose! It's your meal after all.

Round-
I would suggest using the heatsource thats farthest away from your heat escape/vent Place you smoke box/pouch there too. This way the heat and smoke are drawn across the meat on their way out of the grill. In most gas grills the natural escape route is out the back of the grill so your idea to use the front burner is right on. The advantage of going low and slow is that it is the only way that the tough muscle fibers in these cuts truely break down and become their most tender. It will be done and edible at shorter higher temps but it won't be the same as what you hear the gang here talking about.

Good luck guys.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:51 am
Rob96 rare
rare

"Rob if I been in your place I'd done the same thing."

It is one of things he really looks forward to when he comes home, home cooking. He also really appreciates it when people thank him for serving his country. He considers it his contribution. He'll be home again in a few weeks, Next I will be treating him to brisket.

Next

Return to General Discussion