Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Woodflame Barbecue

Woodflame Barbecue

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:05 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Has anyone heard of the new Woodflame barbecue?? I just saw one today at a local hardware store for $299 Cnd - kinda expensive for the size - it's not that big. Anyway, it uses a technology they call "FORCED-AIR WOOD FIRE COOKING". I guess the idea is that this burner burns these wood chunks and the heat is evenly distrubited up to the grilling grate. It looks pretty cool, but I haven't found out if it is just a gimmick or really worth the money.

Has anyone bought or used one? You can check out their website -->

http://www.woodflame.com/index.html

What do you think? Definitely peaked my interest.

Trevor

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:13 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

I forgot to mention... if you visit the Woodflame website, make sure you watch the video that is linked on their main page. It will show you exactly how it works -- it's pretty cool.

Trevor

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:05 pm

Looks like the same technology that is used for convection ovens. The fan creates airflow around the burning wood, and since the combustion is really a chemical reaction between the carbon in the fuel and the surrounding air, more air=more heat.

That part you probably already knew.

However, you can do the same thing without any fancy equipment, and for a lot less than three bills. One of Raichlen's books talks about Bistecca alla Fiorentino, where you use a hair dryer to whip up your burning oak to a 900-1000 degree frenzy. And another famous cook (Alton Brown) tells us of a modification he made to his Weber 1-Touch Gold. Around the lower part of the grill are several air vents wth rotating cover plates. He removed one of those cover plates and fitted a section of tail pipe into the grill, with a hair dryer on the other end. This results, he says, in a "blast furnace capable of generating enough heat to please the average blacksmith."

So is the Woodflame a gimmick? No, not really. But can you do the same thing for less money? Undoubtedly.

Goalie

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:25 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My question would be the longeviety of this unit. If you've ever noticed there is no live flame in a convection oven. Flame although we think we control it can still do unexpected things. I wonder how well that fan unit will stand up to the flames?
I think I like the mod ideas better myself.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:24 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

That's a cute little gadget. Looks like cooking on a controlled flare-up. But really, who was watching the grill? :wink:

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:09 am
MReynolds well done
well done

I wonder about the longevity of the entire unit. That video shows that burn can glowing orange, it's so hot. Plus, the flame is in the center of the unit. How would this give an even temp across the grate surface? I just don't see it. IMO, this is a hyped piece of junk. I can do the same thing with a can of sterno given enough time.

You know, my grandfather had a grill with a manual pump fan on it back in the 50's / 60's. You would pump a long arm to spin the fan and create a hotter fire. That stuff is great for blacksmiths, but I'm not shoeing any horses around here. :wink:
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Return to General Discussion