Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BEEF BRISKET

BEEF BRISKET

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:00 pm
Fletcher medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey is it better to smoke a beef brisket with a dry rub or to just slow cook it on a gas or charcoal grill?

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:54 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Welcome to the Board. From my experience, I have done better smoking with a dry rub. I usually mop the brisket during the last half of the smoking process.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:03 am
Fletcher medium-rare
medium-rare

cool thanks

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:34 am
spfranz well done
well done

Definitely smoked with a rub. No question about it.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:42 am

I'm going to go against the grain (no pun intended) and say that growing up, I've never had brisket with any kind of rub. It was just salt and pepper over copious amounts of mesquite smoke. And it was always good.

I should point out that the briskets used were not the kinds you get at the grocery store...they were huge, whole, untrimmed cuts...they looked like the primal! Nice thick fat and well marbled, they really didn't need any attention other than fire maintenance.

The first time I had a brisket that used a rub, it was when I moved from the west to VA. Don't get me wrong, it was good....it just wasn't what I was used to.

Goalie

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:31 am
Fletcher medium-rare
medium-rare

Well I went our and got me a Smokey Mountain Series Smoker yesterday. I think it will be good asset to my grillin. I'm known here as the Squadron Chef. Because I'm the only one that volunteers to cook for my squdron. I'm in the Air Force. I have cookd for 200 up to 800 people. With the help of friend of mind, Now that I have master the grill, I'm starting to get into smoking. Today, I will smoke the beef brisket, a slab of pork spare ribs, and a pork loin roast. I hope they come out good.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:04 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Fletcher! :D Sorry I was busy this weekend. My 2 cents on the dry rub, I always use it on brisket, adds plenty of flavor. How did oyurs turn out?

You're amongst a few Great Outdoors Smoky mountain Series Smoker owners on this board. In fact I have the 36" models in both gas & charcoal, and I had both of the going this weekend (ribs, chicken (whole & pieces) brisket, and pulled pork) plus hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill as a safety net for the kids.

I'm Ret. A.F., and loved to use the big pavillion grills when having squadron parties.

Have fun & stick around!

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:50 pm
Fletcher medium-rare
medium-rare

The brisket came out great! I used a St. lewis dry rub for the brisket, slab of spare ribs, and pork roast. I started about noon and every thing was done by 630 in the evening. About half way, I put in a whole chicken. I use a poultry seasoning for a dry rub for the chicken and it came out great also. I think that stone mountain series smoker is the good money well spent. I had about 12 people over and they left with plates full of food and we still have more left over. I grilled some burgers, brawts, and some small pieces of steaks on the gas grill. We sat down and ate like Kings! I will do 2 more briskets later and then I will smoke me a couple of turkeys.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:01 pm
Fletcher medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey Bob I got 6 years to go before I retire. I just may invest in a RV, a large smoker on wheels and head out to some competitions. 8) I'm a generator maintenance/ diesel mechanic. so, there will be some good money in that when i get out. But yeah the smoky mountain series smokers are a good thing. I may just go cook on tonight.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:28 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Fletcher glad to hear your cookout went well. :D

Return to General Discussion