Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill brush and cleaning tip

Grill brush and cleaning tip

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:25 pm
1cajuncook medium
medium

I found a great grill brush at BBQs Galore. It has a stainless steel scouring pad fastened to a long handle. I have stainless steel grill grates and it does the best job of cleaning I have ever seen. You can remove the pads and wash them in the dishwasher.

If my grates get real dirty, I wrap heavy duty aluminum foil around the grates and light all three burners on high for about 15 minutes. The residue on the grates turns to ash just like in a self cleaning oven.
Life's too short to eat bland food.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:45 pm

I think what you are describing was the "winner" on America's Test Kitchen's test of 7 different grill brushes. Saw it on their PBS show this morning. They tested long and short handled ones, wooden and metal handles, and most with the classic wire bristles we all have or had at one time. But the winner was a long wooden handle (stays cool and keeps your hand away from cooking heat) with two scour pads that are removable for cleaning and replaceable (about $2.50). In all their tests this style cleaned all grill types (cast iron, porcelan and stainless steel) the best and their cost was about $20. A little high for the initial cost but a savings over the long haul. Good choice there, 1cajuncook!

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:05 pm

Yep. I saw that show too and that's what prompted me to look for one. It was only $9.00 and came with 2 pads at BBQ Galore which is the same as a decent brass bristle brush.I bought 2 extra pads for $2.50

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:20 pm
502mids well done
well done

Is stainless steel okay to use on porcelin? Other posts that I've read have warned to only use brass on porceline. And how do you really spell porcelen?

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:43 pm

Don't know about what to use properly on "porcelain" to clean it but it's correctly spelled "porcelain"... I type faster than my keyboard can think sometimes.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:21 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Stainless will destroy a porcelain coated grate in very short order. Use a brass brush for a coated grate.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:36 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dark is right.
Stainless should only be used on stainless or cast iron. Anything that is coated or plated will be beat up with a stainless brush or pad.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board 1cajuncook! Thanks for the tips. That foil tip sounds mighty handy for our gas owners.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:43 pm
502mids well done
well done

I just picked up a Thermos grid scrub'r tonight. It's a heavy duty pot scruber with a hard plastic handle. Works great on my porcelain (thanks Brisket Man :wink: ) grids, though it gets gummed up and needs to be cleaned once or twice with dish detergent.

Return to General Discussion