Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilling with vodka??

Grilling with vodka??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:09 pm

Hello all,

A while back I tried grilling tomatoes that had been marinated in a bit of vodka.
They turned out ok, but didn't seem to be much different tasting than regular
grilled tomatoes.

Does anyone here have any ideas for grilling with vodka (other than drinking it 8) ) ?

Thanks,

Hoosier_Griler
It's never too cold to grill!!

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:38 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Hoosier_Griller
Welcome to the board,
I use Vodka in one of one my BBQ sauces. If you like I could give you the recipe .As you know, Vodka does not have much a flavor, but when it’s mixed with any tomato-based sauce, it enhances the taste of tomatoes. I read somewhere that tomatoes contain certain flavors that only dissolve in alcohol. I like to do Bloody Mary Flank steak, which uses Vodka in the Marinade and the sauce.
Recipe:
2 cups tomato juice or V8
1/2 cup of Vodka
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tbs prepared commercial horseradish
3 tbs Red wine
2 tsp crumbled dried Thyme
1 tsp celery salt
2 tbs of granulated onion powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 pounds London broil or Flank steaks, about 1 1/2-inches thick, Tenderized with Jaccard
1 tbs olive oil
Coarse salt to taste
Stir all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Place the steaks in a single layer in non-reactive baking dish. Spoon the tomato juice mixture over the meat, spreading to cover. Turn the meat to coat the other side. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or set aside at room temperature for no longer than 30 minutes.
When ready to grill, take the steak out of the marinade, and dry well. Drizzle olive oil all over them and grill them to your preferred level of doneness.
If you want to use the sauce, boil it well and add ¼ cup of A-1 sauce to it. Serve the sauce along the side of the thinly sliced steaks.
Enjoy!

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:37 am
Loene rare
rare

Is that also your bbq sauce receipe with the A1? If I know that I would be interested in your bbq sauce. Always on the look out for something new to try
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:07 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I think the reason you dont see Vodka used in cooking recipes much is because it is lacking in robust flavor. Thats why you see wines and bourbons used often. Now for me, I often tailor recipes that usually call for bourbon and use tequilla instead.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:10 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I was referring to the marinade above. By boiling it and adding the A-1 sauce, you would have a sauce that would compliment the steak.
I will post the BBQ sauce for you. As Airfoil mentioned, Vodka lacks the punch, it’s mainly used as a flavor enhancer.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:06 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I know its not bbq but one of my favorite dishes is pasta with vodka sauce. I order it whenever I can when I'm out. Unfortunately I've yet to find a good recipe for making it at home. Till then I'll settle for getting it when I can. If you see it on a menu near you try it!

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:07 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is a link to Vodka Sauce recipe for Pasts from the FOOD NETWORK. Written by Giada De Laurentiis (Everyday Italian), Episode#: EI1B09.
It’s excellent!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 89,00.html

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:55 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks Z I'll give it a shot and report if it stacks up to my expectations. :wink:

Return to General Discussion