Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion making smoke

making smoke

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:05 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey guys... in another post, GrandScale was saying something about putting yer wood chips over a (gas grill) burner that doesn't have food above it. http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1295
Does this matter? What would be wrong with having food directly over the canister that contains the wood chips? When I last bbq'ed at my dad's, we put the canister in the middle of the grill between 2 burners and then did our normal grilling. Also, I am wondering, if using a charcoal grill, does it matter where you put the chips if doing direct grilling?

Thanks as always,

Trevor

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:37 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trevor - You're right it really doesn't matter as fars as getting good flavor on your food where you put the wood. Let me try to restate what I was getting at.
The two points I was trying to make were.
1. In some cases, especially in direct grilling you want the heat for the food higher than that of the wood. Otherwise the wood will flame instead of smolder and you'll burn your wood up too quickly. By shifting the wood to slower coals or a lower burner you can get this done. Similarly if you're going indirect you don't want heat under your food and since the wood is a source of heat you don't want that under your food either.
2. When smoking on a grill its good to think of how the air moves inside to outside the grill the grill. You want to make sure that the meat gets the smoke drafting past it. This is easy to determine and adjust. Watch where the smoke escapes and put the meat between the wood and that point. Or don't if you like less smokey flavor. Or use less wood.

It all boils down to the fact that there is no "one way" each grill is a bit different and you have to work with what you've got.

Hope this makes more sense. If not let me know and I'll try again. Or maybe someone else can help me.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:16 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

cool... that all makes sense... thanks.

Trevor

Return to General Discussion