Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ Basic Rub to salty

BBQ Basic Rub to salty

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:19 am

I made the BBQ Basic Rub and I followed everything perfect. My family felt the ribs were to salty. I cook the ribs for 1.5 hrs. and the rub was on for 2hrs prior. I just need a salt replacement. thanks

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:25 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

What type of salt did you use?
When a recipe calls for a kosher salt and you replace it with something else, you have to make adjustment in the amount used. Table salt is more fine and dissolves quicker. If you use too much table salt, your ribs will be salty.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:29 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thats an easy one, use less salt.
Rubs are like icecream, theres one out there to suit everbodys taste and even then they can be modified. Some like butterscotch some like chocolate syrup. Find a recipe you like and modify it to what you like better. There is no wrong way. Just whats already been tried. If you liked the basic except for that it was too salt, next time just add less salt. Have fun, play with it. Experimenting is part the fun.

Good luck.

Also tr celery salt, I add some to many of my rubs and I think it adds a nice flavor. Andfor you it may not have the full bite of kosher salt.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:40 am

Kool, I really like the brown suger and hickory salt, but I think the corse salt is too much. I will try something new. I will report back what I come up with. Thanks

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:24 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

I had the same thing happen to my ribs. After I got my grill, I wanted to experiment so I had one rack, cut it in half and used two different types of rub. One, I used the basic rub found in the Techniques and Recipes portion of this site. The other one, I used the rub under the recipe for the St. Louis, Mo. Super Smokers Sweet and Smoky Dry Rub Ribs. I found that the basic rub is a bit too salty for the ribs (maybe cause there's not much meat on the ribs). But the Sweet ribs were much tastier. I think they were a little sweeter than I like it so I think I'd use a little less part of brown sugar next time. But like people say, it's an adventure tweaking things when you bbq.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:55 pm

Since you brought up Super Smokers, my wife and I went super smokers last weekend, man they were good!! But get this, I did some ribs sunday on my brinkman horizontal smoker, and, well my wife said they were just as good. She wouldn't say anything if she didn't think they were.

So, I've only had my smoker a couple months, and figured out like everyone else with a horizontal smoker, that the temp at the grate is not the same as the temp at the top. I bought a temp gage for the grate, and low and behold!! Now all of a sudden I'm cooking at the correct temps, unlike b4. It's a 50 degree difference!!

That's why I was so happy the last ribs I did came out so good!!

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:05 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

From my own experience, I am going to guess that the problem may be Kosher salt, which is called for in most recipes, versus regular table salt. The latter is much more salty in recipes. It took me suffering though a couple of salty dishes to learn this. The key is like GS says, experiment and adapt and learn what you like.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:16 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Goldenbear those two rubs (slightly adapted) are kept in my kitchen at all times. I find I like the basic with Beef and the Sweet and Smokey with Pork and Chicken. But that is in no way a hard and fast rule.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:26 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

I still need to try to smoke a steak using the basic BBQ rub. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:25 pm
CRUBOS raw
raw

Hello Everyone,
I know I'm in the right palce after reading some of the posts. Imade the Super Smoker Sweet and Smoky Dry Rub for some Baby Backs. I left the rub on for 6 hours. When I made the rub I reduced the salt by half. When they finished cooking they looked great!! Biting into them made my lips pucker because of the salt. I read some have great experiences while others have bad. I used kosher salt. Could I hve left the rub on too long? Thanks for the advice.
Crubos :(

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:45 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

CRUBOS wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I know I'm in the right palce after reading some of the posts. Imade the Super Smoker Sweet and Smoky Dry Rub for some Baby Backs. I left the rub on for 6 hours. When I made the rub I reduced the salt by half. When they finished cooking they looked great!! Biting into them made my lips pucker because of the salt. I read some have great experiences while others have bad. I used kosher salt. Could I hve left the rub on too long? Thanks for the advice.
Crubos :(

That's the same one I used. It has a 4:1 Brown Sugar to Kosher Salt ratio. Wasn't salty at all when I made it. Maybe the rub wasn't mixed well? Brown sugar has that tendency to stick together so I suggest trying to mix it more evenly and trying it out.

Good luck

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:09 pm
CRUBOS raw
raw

Golden Bear,
Thanks for the info. I paln on grilling again tomorrow. I'll give it a shot!
8) Crubos

Return to General Discussion