Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken

Beer Can Chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:12 pm

I just bought Stevens book a few days ago and decided that I want to give beer can chicken a shot but there are a few questions I have. I have a portable Weber Smokey Joe Platinum (18.5" grill) that I would like to use but I don't think the chicken will stand up on the top grill under the lid. Is it ok to stand the chicken up in the drip pan that sits on the charcoal grate so I can get the lid on or will the heat be too hot? I have been down to the local bbq store and I noticed that there is an extension for a rotisserie that would give the necessary clearance but I don't think they make one for the type of grill that I have. I also noticed that on the Weber website they have a poultry roaster that stands up a chicken and has a pan underneath that you pour beer into instead of propping the chicken up on the beer can. Has anyone used this, and if so is it worth the cost? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:31 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You should be able to use the coat grate if you cut back a bit on the fuel. The cook time might be longer, but better longer than burnt. The smaller grill will require less fuel to reach and hold the same temp. And the smaller diameter will place the heat closer to the food.

I have had a 18" kettle in the past and have done BCC by placing the coals on the L and R outside with a smaller drip pan in the center of the coal grate. Place the chix in the pan and if it starts to brown to quickly don't cover it with foil,which will steam the skin, simply place a heat shield of folded foil between the coals on each side and the bird. 8" was the most reliable height. The width was determined by the coal bed.

It can be done. And it can be done easily, with great results.

Rob
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:24 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

One other tip would be to rotate the chicken every once in a while to cook evenly.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:44 pm

thanks for the advice. I think I will give it a try this weekend.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:31 am
hotchef well done
well done

This is a tad off the topic of discussion, but it is about BCC. Bob, I saw you post that you smoke a lot of beer can chickens and that you can get crisp skin with that. I have been unable to produce a good skin either with indirect grilling or with smoking. I have tried spraying and not spraying. Higher heat, lower heat but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:47 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Sorry hotchef, it was not I that got the crispy skin on the BCC. I used water in the pan and cook it at 225* which makes the skin chewy. But that's OK for use because we normally don't eat the skin and the dog doesn't seem to mind :wink: .

Others however have reported that they are able to consistently achieve a nice, edible, crispy skin. I believe that they omit water in the pan so there is a drier heat to cook with and they are probably cooking with a hotter smoke, maybe 250*-300*.

Try reviewing: Crispy skin with gas ??
or
Chicken and the indirect method

Hope this helps.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:13 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Bob,
When I cook the chicken in the GOSM, I do the same thing you mentioned except I pull the water pan out during the last hour and turn up the heat to 300-325 degrees. Of course, you’ll have to be cooking chicken only. This usually produces crispy skin. Also basting with fat based sauce (butter or oil) will also produce crispy skin. But as you mentioned, very few people eat the skin now a days.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:50 pm

Hello all,

I cooked a roaster chicken beer-can style on my gas grill indirectly last weekend
and it turned out well. The skin was crisp and the meat tasty.
I used one of those beer-can holders that Wal-Mart sells
for 5 bucks. I really like grilling these because it's cheap and tasty. 8)

Has anyone here made a beer can turkey with a can of Foster's?
I'm interested in trying one of those.

Thanks,

Hoosier_Griler
It's never too cold to grill!!

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:09 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hoosier_Griler welcome to the board!

Haven't done the turkey, but made lots of chickens!

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:56 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Sloppy BBQ - You asked about the Weber chicken vertical roaster. Unless I'm misunderstanding the material I've seen about this gadget, you place the liquid in the cup the same as if ou were using a can. The bottom tray is etfffectively a drip pan. I'm sure that they work, but I think they're a bit overkill. For instance, here is absolutely no need to plug up the neck opening as Weber recommends. IMHO, it is too pricey for a roaster. You can buy beer can support holders at Wally World for $5. You can buy a ceramic vertical roaster from The Barbeque Store at http://www.barbecue-store.com/chickensitters.htm
all for less than the Weber unit.

My favorite is still he one I have from Outlaws Products. Too bad they went out of business.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ma big Weber fan, I just think they over-engineered this one, and overpriced it.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:23 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here's the sitter I use.
I like it because its easy to clean and I can fill it with anything from beer to juice to wine or booze. Yes I know that you can pour out a can but I like this for ease and stability.
They make a larger size for turkeys as well.
You can get it here.
http://www.grilllovers.com/shopItemDetail.asp?SID=&txtproductId=7790582&txtQueryID=&txtKeyword=&multiDept=&selDepartment=2&selClass=4&selPrice=&absPage=1&shopperid=P8UQG856JXSR2MVX00JP4XCD30SBACTE

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:29 pm
PaulP well done
well done

GS - That's why I prefer my roaster over a can - stability. Mine is heavy SS and has a great additional feature. A heavy guage SS wire cage sits over the liquid cup. You sit the chicken on the cage. When the chicken is done, you reach into the neck hole with a hook provided, catch the cage, and lift that sucker right off the cup! Easy as can be, no gloves, forks, or anything else required.

If I'da known they were going out of business, I woulda bought another one.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:32 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Paul that would explain why I'd never seen that type before. I wish I had though. It sounds nice. Plus I like almost anything stainless. :)

Return to General Discussion