Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Steak again

Steak again

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:46 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If a steak is rock solid it won't absorb any flavor of anything until it thaws as it cooks and by then you're done before the flavor is imparted. If you want to marinade or rub it thaw the steak first (preferably not in a microwave, they tend to start cooking that way) and then marinate it or whatever you choose. If you're just talking salt pepper and a little EVO then put it on a thawed steak right before you put it on the grill.
Of course a really good steak will require very little done to it at all.
For me a porterhouse with a little garlic EVO salt and pepper is perfection.

If you put steak sauce on that, its your preference, but also your loss.
(that and doneness are a whole different debate right up there with gas vs charcoal, but I couldn't help myself)

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:09 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This is what I call a steak in my house.
Let the meat defrost in the refrigerator over night, place the dry rub on it and put it on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes prior to grilling. I use granulated onion and garlic powder, kosher salt and black pepper, paprika and a hint of coriander and cumin for my steak dry rub. Drizzle some EVO on it, and grill it to the level of doneness that you like.
Enjoy!

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:21 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
For me a porterhouse with a little garlic EVO salt and pepper is perfection.

Sometimes less is more GS? :lol:

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:27 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

IMHO, I don't think one should freeze a good steak. Make friends with a local butcher, spring for a good, really good piece of meat. On the day you bring it home, rub it with salt and pepper to taste, and nothing else. Grill it over a very very hot fire to very rare. Wash it down with a good cabernet. It don't get no better. No sauces ever allowed.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:06 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

I could go either way on the great steak debate. Sometimes just some Extra virgin Olive Oil , kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper will do me just fine. But other times I want somthing differant. Indian? Asian? Italian? German? Wisconsin? How about some Trinadad flavors there aidanoc?
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:15 am
Big D well done
well done

I, once again agree with GS. I personally do not perfer anything really done to it or sauce... I love a great steak wjust plain cooked just enough to sear each side (blue rare) and serve with a dallop of melted butter.. perhaps montreal steak spice or salt and pepper to taste.

I would also agree.. if you are spending a decent amount on a cut of meat don't freeze.. wait to the day off to purcahse if possible (or even better dry-age it, searh dry aging at home)

but I would also agree that a generic grocery store steak - ussually in packs- are perfectly fine frozen then thawed and brought to room temp beforer any marniades, spices or even just salt and pepper.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:58 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Less is more but bigger is better!

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:19 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Steak definitely has to be BIG... and come on guys, ya gotta put some sauce on it, no matter how good yer rub is... there's nothin like a good sauce to go with yer food. And anyone who cooks it longer than medium rare, shouldn't be allowed to eat it, hehehe...

Trevor 8)

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:02 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Whooaa Trevor, you like livin' close to the edge of the fire there... :wink:

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:21 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Yeah, I guess you could say I was stirring the pot there a little... :wink:

...just joking around...

It's funny how we all take our barbecue and grilling so seriously. It's all good though! :D We are all very passionate when it comes to doing up our meat.

Trevor :)

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:26 pm
PaulP well done
well done

You know I have to jump in here!

Recipe for a great steak:
1. Buy good meat.
2. Don't f*** it up.

Bring to room temperature, apply kosher salt generously, along with freshly ground pepper, grill over a hot fire to desired doneness. Rest for 5 minutes. If you must add something, add a dollop of herb butter. If you buy supermarket steaks, in most cases, it doesn't matter what you do to them, because they don't meet requirement # 1.

BBQ-Z - what cut of steak is that? I've never seen meat round like that before
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:54 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

That was a Sirloin Tip roast that I tide up in a shape of a giant filet Mignon. :)

Next

Return to General Discussion