Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion prepping ribs

prepping ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:48 am
bbqboi

What is the best way to prep ribs prior to bbqing? I'm going to be using a wet rub/sauce, and read on this board that boiling is a no-no. Can I steam them, or is marinating them in something acidic more appropriate?

Any help you all could provide would be appreciated.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:24 am
steede rare
rare

With ribs I usually keep it simple. My prep before grilling only consists of seasoning both sides with ground pepper and kosher salt, and that's about it. If I'm making wet ribs I don't apply the bbq sauce until the last 20 minutes/half hour of the smoking process.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:21 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

No boiling, No steaming. Just Smoke 'Em. When I prep ribs, I first remove the membrane on the concave side of the ribs to loosen them up & allow more smoke and rub to get in the meat. I do that 24 hours prior to putting them on. When I get the fire started I bring the ribs out of the fridge and bring them to room temp and allow the smoker to get to cooking temp, around 225. Then I put the ribs on and I spray them with apple juice every hour or so.
When they are about 3/4 done I wrap them in foil and let them finish. If you want to use sauce I would wait until they are almost done to put it on like steede said otherwise the sauce gets burnt up and turns black and doen't taste right. Hope this helps.
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:39 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I too follow what Smokeyblues does except I usually let the rub on for about 4 hours +/- so anywhere in between is good. Also spray a bit more often, about every 30 mins. So that gives you a range too. The only thing I don't do is the tinfoil. Some guys do others don't. For a beginer I'd say go for the foil. It doesn't change the cooking just keeps the outside from getting darker. I've heard foil refered to as the "Texas crutch" in this case.
Good luck and Enjoy.

If you're looking for more info, do a search for ribs on this site and you'll find more than you can ever hope for.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:48 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

Personally, I have done lots of ribs with and without foil and the ones with are more moist due to the fact that they are cooking in their own juices for a few hours. I try and keep the smoker closed as much as possible during the cooking time to maintain the temp as best as possible. The only drawback I could see by only spraying them every hour is that they might tend to dry out but, since I wrap them in foil towards the end they stay nice and moist and fall right off the bone. All the meats I smoke, except fish, get a rub or marinade the day before. I feel that is the best amount of time to absorb the flavors of your rub or marinade. Everyone does things different and thats the beauty in BBQ.
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:02 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I've been experimenting with mustard slathers lately and they really seem to be perfect for pork. They are simple and really add some flavor. The one I've been using is:

1 12 oz can of light beer allowed to go flat
30 oz of Frenchs Prepared Mustard
1 7oz can of Chipotle Chiles in adobo sauce blended on high until liquid
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar dried for 3 hours on a cookie sheet

Mix it all together and spread thinly over your meat before seasoning. For my rub I sprinkle " The Barons Barbeque Spice" all over the slather, let it sit until it crusts (about 20 minutes) and throw it on the pit.

The slather is my representaion of "Sams Special Sauce" both recipes are from "Championship Barbeque" by Paul Kirk
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Return to General Discussion