Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spray Bottle

Spray Bottle

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:09 am
Ken

I have been trying to discover what the mixtures are that contestants use at the BBQ contests in the spray bottles they use on the meat. I have checked several places but was unable to find anything about the kind of contents they use in the bottles. Any help is appreciated.

My e-mail at work: kenneth.powers@dhs.gov
My e-mail at home: kpowers234@aol.com

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:30 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Wow Ken, you may never get that genie out of it's bottle.

Every pitmaster has their own "secrets". Rubs & sauces are probably the biggest secrets followed closely by mops & sprays, as these are what give BBQ it's wonderful flavor (and smoke).

Most of the time, I'll use and apple cider/juice mixture to spray with.

Good luck & consider registering if you haven't already :D .

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:49 am
Grillzilla rare
rare

Hey Ken. Try the "Lord of the Que" Mist from Barbeque USA book. It is a great starting place for a mist.
"The more you learn to grill the less I have to cook" My Wife

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:17 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Most of that is apple jiuce or cider of some kind like Bob says with a few trace ingredients like nutmeg or something (or at least I tincture mine with it). Plain old water does great too to get started. Just be sure your concotion is thin enough to be sprayed through the nozzle. You can strain through multiple layers of cheesecloth to help thin out your mixture if it needs it. Another fun thing to use I have found is peach juice.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:35 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I like Ken's Cider Squirt recipe. I believe it is in the sauces book.

Airfoils wrote
Another fun thing to use I have found is peach juice.

I'm going to have to try that. How have you used it? Chicken, pork. Adding anything to it?

RichD

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:09 pm
JDasmokin rare
rare

Hi Ken
Most of my sprays start with white vinegar
It is fairly thin and seems to stay on the meat .
As for the spray bottle I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer.
Most of the time my cooks are fairly large and pumping a spray bottle gets old.
I also agree that water is always a good standby.
I'll have to try a start of cider and juice mixture sounds good.

Hope this helped.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:14 pm
ken

Thanks for the tips. I will try the cider or apple juice this weekend. Does that apply to briskets also?

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:48 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Sure does! I use the apple cider & juice mixure on brisket, ribs, and pork. Gives me something to do beside drool. :wink:

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:58 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I also like a combo of beer, pineapple juice and Worcestershire sauce. Those flavors work very well with beef.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:09 am
hotchef well done
well done

Does anyone know a way to get a spray sauce to flavor a beer can chicken (or just a whole chicken at that)? I tried a recipe I read earlier (I believe from Grand Scale) called chicken with a flare. It called for a spray of butter, white vinegar, and salt. It gave the skin a wonderful flavor but did very little to the meat. I really like the versatility that sprays offer so I'm hoping I can find a way to make this work.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:49 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hotchef,

I'll begin with, "I haven't tried this."

The chicken with a flare that you mentioned is exposed to direct heat which crisps the skin and in combination with the spray gives it a great flavor. However, a BCC is not exposed to this direct heat and I believe that spraying one during the cooking process would make the skin rubbery and chewy. If that isn't a problem for those eating the chicken then there is still one other issue, you're still spraying the chicken and not the meat. You might try removing the skin to see if that will give you the flavor you are looking for. The rub, spray, and smoke would come in direct contact with the meat. Which means you may want to cut back on the smoke a little because chicken soaks it up so readily. Just a thought. Anyone else?

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

If you are looking to flavor the chicken meat as well as the skin try injecting. This will put the flavor in the meat and will work with indirect as well as grilling. Though I generally cook my chicken with inderect heat to avoid burning it.

RichD

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:36 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RichD, injection...DOH..completely slipped my mind :oops: . Thanks for bringing it up because it also reminded me that you can rub under the skin as well. The Florida Jalapeno-Pineapple chicken had loads of flavor using this method. You can also use flavored butters under the skin.

Forgive me as I'm a little tired today. I'm sure there are lots of alternatives for adding, but somehow I got locked onto spraying the chicken.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:54 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yup the Standard chicken with a flair was from me. I still can't believe more people hadn't heard of that before. Anyway I've used this on indirect and direct heat both. When direct it is essential that the heat below is low! Otherwise you get flareup like you don't even want to think about, but hey we are coming up on the 4th and maybe fireworks are your thing. Typically I do a combination of heat withthis. The meat is over the low with the "indirect" burners on medium. Crispy skin without the flareups. I have tried this spray on the smoker and Bob is right it came out subpar, but if you were to crisp it first or last my hunch is that it would work great. Either way the flavor was great.
As for the meat vs the skin you three best bets are going to be an injection, a marinade or a brine. Chicken goes great in a brine. Try the "Funky brine" from Emeril, its posted here someplace.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:30 pm
urslow raw
raw

Another dumb question, what does this misting accomplish? I have 2 of Steve's books, I guess I had better read them huh? But they look so good in the bookshelf. :mrgreen:

Next

Return to General Discussion